Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blacksmith workshop clearout, updated with pictures and prices.

Sheds Moderator

Further clearout, suitable for anyone wanting to do some blacksmithing. Located at my parents' place near Cadwell, Lincs. This must all be collected, I'm not having my Dad posting an anvil. *tongue*

Working coke powered forge, 3'6" square with canopy and chimney. Bolted construction so it can be altered as required. Variable speed blower motor to water cooled tuyere (very useful - stops the heat melting your air pipe). Water tank to rear. £150

Anvil, 1.5cwt, good condition on tree stump base. Big enough, and you don't want it on your foot. £150

Forge hand tools:

10 assorted swages and cutting tools

20 hand held tongs, various shapes and sizes

12 cutting chisels, various sizes

At a push these small items can be posted.

This is a complete working forge with everything required to set up a blacksmith's workshop. It came out of a school some years ago when they stopped doing forge work.

A large quantity of mild steel is available: sq, rect, round, angle, can be included in the sale.

Price TBC, I'll talk to my Dad, but it's going to be inexpensive.

Edited by - batteredoldsupersport on 15 Feb 2011 19:25:52

Edited by - batteredoldsupersport on 19 Mar 2011 12:25:50

It's still available, yes, so if you'd like it then say the word. Nobody's grabbing it though, unless they are very big men indeed. *wink* You can move it around, but it is something you tend to walk across the floor! Obviously collection only. I'm actually surprised it's as little as 1.5cwt, I thought it was more. 1.5cwt is 12 stones, the weight of an average man, and it seems a bloody sight more than that.

Wile, I don't think schools are buying anything at the moment, I spoke to a craft teacher mate about the miller, he really wanted it and he put a cap request in but got nowhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong brand. Not Acme 😬. In the absence of a weight marked "10 TONS" though it might have to do *wink*, though it would be a shame to wreck a nice tool like this. There's a surprising amount of technology in an anvil, in particular the striking/cutting part is a hardened insert and if you ever wear it out 😳 you can cut it out and weld a new piece of steel in. Get the big nozzles ready for that welding job I think. Probably not the sort of thing you'll end up doing EVERY year, nevertheless.

A mate lived in a village where the old blacksnith's anvil is in the village square, the part used for cutting things with a chisel is noticeably dished. That must have taken a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, update with pictures:

Set of various tongs, 20 in all: here

Forge itself:here

Anvil:here

As stated the forge is demountable for transit and can be made to any size that suits you if you want it to take up less space. It needs a single phase 240V supply for the blower and you are away. £150.

The anvil is either 1.5 or 2cwt. About 2ft long, in good condition. £150

There are 20 pairs of tongs, £150 all in.

Total £450, bought as a package and collected £400, and he'll throw in a couple of big hammers for advanced metal bashing.

Edited by - batteredoldsupersport on 19 Mar 2011 12:18:51

Edited by - batteredoldsupersport on 19 Mar 2011 12:22:22

Edited by - batteredoldsupersport on 19 Mar 2011 12:24:42

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...