Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SL cage

bobt

Hi peebs,

Is it possible to still get hold of the older SL (hooped) cages? I have a 2000 superlight and would like to get one of original cages (Saftey Devices?) rather than one of the newer Caged variety as I prefer the appearence of the older design.

Anybody any info?

Thanks Rob

i was looking for ages, never found one, probably be like busses, two at a time, now i have bought a caged one 😬. I asked safety devises at the retro show last year and they said they may be able to find jigs, perhaps, if they had a G number here fell on deaf ears im afraid, i put up with the roadsport lalst year. but as i say now i am caged.here 😬

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

they charged me £***plus tax,this included paint and mirror mounts. a lot of money but less than cc which i believe come without the mounts and only in black. the later caged one fits through the chassis at the front where as the older SD cage fitted on z brackets through the scuttle. You can see the bosses i had to add to fit the cage in the pics, i have looked at several cars where the cage has been fitted by just drilling holes and putting a bolt right through the chassis , didn't like that at all *nono* the cage was a very good fit in the existing bosses, the cage dropped straight into the suspension turret holes and lined up perfect at the rear. the cage sat on perfectly square when in position with equal spacing on each side. This was not the case with the old road sport which was always a tight fit. ps although i do not use the car for competition the big one *eek* at shelsley last year made my mind up to get the bigger cage.

Kevin R

here

Edited by - k.russell on 21 Jan 2011 17:31:43

I assume Caged also recommend the fitment of the bosses. Hmmm not not sure I'd be happy just drilling through and bolting up either. Frome (bath area) is only about 2 hours from west London. If I trailer'd the car over to them (currently in bits :-) ) do you recon they'd drill and weld them in for me?

Cheers

Rob

Bob, in the fitting pack they sent me spacers and long metric bolts + the 7/16 UNF bolts, i assume the metric bolt could fit loose into the holes in the chassis with the spacer between the skins to stop crushing, not welded. they also offered some compression fittings but i declined explaining i was welding in bosses. i think you would have to speak to them. i know arch will do them but not sure if they will without removing the side skins. as you can see it is quite involving doing the bushes how i did them. but i am 100% sure the chassis still has its integrity. if i decide to remove the cage in the future. my chassis is circa 1992 and only has one original boss for the petty strut on the left hand side.

Kevin R

here

CC suply these here which do the job but again dont weld in, although they could be. i still think that the size of hole, 16mm ish, through a 25mm square hollow box reduces its strength considerably as you are relying on only the top and bottom of the box, which is 1.6mm thick material, to hold the section together.

Kevin R

here

i made these spacers up Bob, the ones in the fitting kit are just 16mm tube x 2mm wall st /st x 25 long. Arch will put them in no probs. Ex Cman Roger has just had them fitted i believe. they would need the cage to get them perfect though i think.

Kevin R

here