Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake piston dust seal

TomB

Has anyone had to change the big rubber dust seal for the rear brake piston? Im having a devil of a job getting it the seal to fit in the groove on the brake calliper. The seal is on the piston OK which is wound in. There is a machined circular grove on the calliper to allow a lip on the piston dust seal to go in to prevent dust etc getting into the piston/ calliper housing.

If it makes any difference, the calliper is still on the car.

Just spend 2 hours winding out the piston, cleaning and trying to get it back together. I wont be applying for any jobs in the fast fit industry!

• Support Team

Assuming you mean the Ford calliper - its a bit of a faf to get on but I did mine on the bench. So a bit of a faf on the bench may translate into a 'mare on the car?

IIRC wind the piston out about 20mm slide the seal past the groove in the piston. This gives a bit more slack in the rubber to push the outer edge into the groove on the calliper. Then wind the piston in to locate the inner edge in the piston groove *thumbup*

I think I then wound it in and out a couple of times to fully seat the outer edge in the calliper. *eek*

This may a *lot* easier with the calliper removed, it may be quicker to bleed the brakes than struggle getting the seal on...?

*thumbup* Success!

I removed the piston, and refitted the seal over the rear of the piston and slid it up the piston a bit so that the lip for insertion into the caliper was protruding. Then I positioned the seal lip into the caliper, then gently turned the piston into the caliper and wound it back in.

I cant see how it could be done the Haynes way, placing the seal over the front of the seal, winding it in and then trying to do it. Another Haynes lie!