Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Comparable wheel sizes - advice please

Doug

My Seven is currently on 13" wheels with 185s on the front and 205s on the rear. The car has just over 200bhp. Tyres are currently AO21Rs (60 profile) which means that the speedo over reads. The car rides and handles beautifully on this set up.

If I were to change to CR500s, would I be better getting bigger rims and if so, what is generally regarded as the optimum combination of rim and tyre size, keeping ride and handling as close as possible to my current set up?

I'm contemplating this simply because CR500s tend to last longer and are as good in the wet as my current AO21Rs.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Hi Doug,

I am looking to change down from 14" to 13" in the near future and when I checked on the intraweb if I use a 206/60 on the back it hardly effects the speedo. I think 70mph (185/60x14) reading would mean I was doing 69.78mph?. I know the avon profile is a 55 and would affect it more. It seems like a lot of outlay just to have a longer lasting tyre?

Regards

Dignity

Thanks Dignity, I'm of the same opinion too. Add to which AO21s are excellent tyres I think maybe it's a bit impractical.

Perhaps a SBFS half hood would be a better buy!

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)