Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX engine number stamp

k.russell

Kevin,

You will get several opinions on this, but I can tell you having gone through a VIC on K2RUM that Caterham never stamped the number which is on the chassis plate and the logbook on the engine.

Caterham will deny this as this is a compliance failure on thier part.

The number on the bellhousing flange is the GM engine number, and if you have a Swindon engine where head work was carreid out at Swindon, there will be a 4 digit serial number stamped on the back of the head near the heater hose outlet.

Swindon never did anything to the bottom end for the factory, with the single exception of the VX engined R500 which belongs to Stan Romanchek (sp?)

Full Terms and Conditions of this post can be read here.

Hi Arnie, thanks for the reply. the number on the belhousing flange has been authenticated by SRE being an S***** number, they could trace easily the build date and supply to the factory, also the build spec and components that went into the engine and its dyno runs etc. CC on the other hand dont seem to have any tracable records, and dont seem to be able to help, even given the chassis number and the engine number. i just wondered if there was another number stamped on the engine to match that of the VIN plate and logbook. your answer seems to answer my question that there is not.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Arnie, my engine has a number on the flange which i will check later. it is a Caterham supplied engine in my HPC that i have had from new in 92. the Swindon engine is one i am considering buying, but i am trying to trace its history, as i say seems easy from Swindons records but not from CC. How were the evolution engines made up? my HPC engine was a new engine, was this the case with an EVO ? or did swindon supply or caterham source a used engine to modify to EVO spec ? the engine is a later 97 ish spec LN engine, i am thinking its history may be a bit jaded at CC because of the legallity of this engine in a caterham at his time of change. any info on this would be helpfull, thanks.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here