Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel bearing replacement

GPBox

Hi all. I fancy a little winter job of changing all four wheel bearings.....2001 K-Series S3....can I get bearings from a regular 'motor-factors' or do I need to go to CC ?..anyone know the spec + seals? ...is it a pretty straight forward job of knocking old ones out and new ones in...or is a press required ?....cheers Graham

Hi Graham. What sort of mileage on the car ? Fronts require regular greasing and adjustment, rears less so. If you do a search in TechTalk for something like 'front and bearing' you should find plenty on this subject.

Best to go to CC or Redline for front bearing kits to get the felt seal that you need. It is very easy to damage the fragile shell the felt sits in when trying to fit it 'square'. I found the best way is to lay the hub outer face down on the ground, sit the metal shell of the felt seal on the recess it is going in to, lay a flat piece of wood across it and hit it hard. Job done. Seal does need grease rubbing in to it to make it work as a grease barrier. Do make sure there are no nicks or rough edges on the edge of the face of the upright that it runs against or the seal will peel off like an orange being peeled as soon as you turn the wheel. Been there !

Apart from that, front bearing fitting is run of the mill stuff with bashing cups out.

whilst agreeing with Ian's method of fitment, I wouldn't grease the seal. If you do, the felt tends to stick to the axle and tears out of its cup, thereby becoming useless. Both of mine failed within a few miles when I tried this but, having replaced them dry, I've had no further trouble. Enough grease is slung out by the hub as it rotates to effect a seal. Its really there to keep the muck out rather than the grease in.

Hi not sure if I have old of new hubs....I'll take a look is there an obvious differrence ?

Yes, pretty obvious, you can check by the size of the castle nut at the end of the axle. The old ones have a 1/2 inch inside thread - not sure what the new ones are but it's much bigger. See the comparison of the stub axles here.

If you buy the QH kit, you get the seal. I've greased and and I've oiled the seals - both have worked fine. Cheapo nasty ones will fall apart regardless. Dutton trials car, often up to above the hubs in water, mud, thin sloppy mud, thick stiff mud, mud, mud, mud, uses the same Triump upright and hub - seal works fine.

Same idea of a felt seal is used a lot in textile machinery - robust, long lasting and doesn't get knackered at the hint of foreign bodies. Rubber lip seals, especially how they would need to be installed in our application, don't like foreign bodies, and once damaged, you're stuffed. They don't like heat if not constantly lubricated - so again, you'd probably be stuffed in our application once you go over 30mph for any length of time.

Integral seals and shields as per a sealed race (ie as per newer design hub) are used in a slightly different manner, and don't get damaged quite so easily. There is still a speed reistriction to do with seal friction and overheating, but the sealed and lubricated nature of the assembly minimises it to some degree.

Bri