Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine touching bonnet

Stef

On my academy 07 car the bonnet touches what i think is the injectors (or at least the plastic casing around them).It is significant enough for the bonnet to be pushed up a mill or so.

Anyone else got this? is it a problem or just one of those things? it was bought from caterham fully serviced a couple of months ago so they obviously didnt have an issue with it.

Cheers

Steff

There is a rectangular plastic moulding on the (I think) inlet housing that sticks up and can touch. It's OK to cut/file this down to stop it fouling the bonnet.

The throttle cable also can vibrate against the bonnet if it's not cable-tied to the inlet manifold...

HTH - Simon

Hello Steff,

I had this problem on my 1990 crossflow,the large brass nuts on the 40 dcoe's were rubbing through the bonnet when the engine was under load, also the k&n filters were rubbing on the top of the bonnet apperture.

All i did was remove the large bolt on the nearside engine mount,jacked up the engine and slipped in a couple of sturdy large flange washers,this small amount seemed to give me just enough clearance,Hope this may be of some assistance.

Richard.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to get more info on this. I have the same problem.

Upon checking I believe the rectangular piece refereed to has already been 'sawn' off. My Injector housing is touching the louvred bonnet for the length of about 5 louvres (At the very front end)and has caused the ally bonnet to show signs of damage and the 'plastic'? Injection housing has had grooves worn it it.

It's the B***** rattle that annoys let alone I don't want the damage to escalate.

Any suggestions please?

Car is a 1.6K Year 2007 Roadsport

All the best

Steve

What do you mean by 'the very front'?

If you do indeed mean the cambelt end then this is very odd since I believe K's are tilted such that the front is lower than the rear.

Yes I do mean the front of the engine, its where the Injection Unit is uppermost and it is the higher part of that injection unit (Black 'plastic' where it has the word injection) that touches the bonnet.

If you throttle the natural tilt of the engine takes it off the bonnet but as I say it does not look good, I wouldn't want it to develop any further without paying attention to it.

Steve

Does the engine mounting bracket on the inlet side have a sleeved hole going through it about halfway along its length? If so the. There is an alternate bracket that sits the engine slightly lower (used when the Ali VVC plenum is fitted), fitting this type would help.