Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning soft slicks

Ian_Brandon

Following clutch failure and an unplanned tow off of a hillclimb, I have managed to pick up more than the average amount of stones and debris on my slicks which has duly buried itself (especially in the supersoft fronts).

I have heard that using a heat gun and scraper can ease the removal process, but I'm a little hesitant - anyone got any experience of this or any other useful techniques to stop me running in a class with Fred Flintstone next time out?

K Series R500 no 34

Get along to your local horse supplies place and get a stiff plastic Curry Comb (you see them used in hillclimb paddocks every weekend) rubbed hard over the tyre it will get rid of the stones and other crap and then you can use a Surform to clean off the bits of rubber and give a newish surface *thumbup*

Horse brush thing works well, just use some soap and water and it should get any stuck stones / etc off, might need to pick some of the more embeded ones out with your finger nails. Once clean you can use a sureform to get rid of any stuck rubber but wouldn't recomend using the sureform until after you have all the rubbish off.

I've also used a heat gun and scraper which also works like the sureform with less effort but I'm not sure if it really does the tyres any good in the long term.

Rob