Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Malpassi filter king leaking

McBreadhead

Fuel is leaking around perimeter of seal between glass cup and main body. Seal seems fine so have greased both faces and replaced and leak seems to have held.

However when I first turned car over today the cup was full of fuel and it was flooding out of the seal; now between idle and 4,000 rpm the fuel level is only 1/3 full just above bottom of the filter cartridge. Which level is normal? I am running an electric fuel pump mounted in boot area.

Lucky I caught before Goodwood so have a few weeks to sort. Any thoughts?

Had the same issue a while back when I checked the filter. After cleaning all the surfaces up I used a smear of Well Seal (other non setting sealants apply) and reassembled, no issues since. Be careful it is only the thinnest smear as you don't want squashed out beads of sealant in the fuel system.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - Revin Kevin on 3 Sep 2010 18:08:21

Couldn't get any Well Seal after trying several motor factors so gave up and as insurance policy ordered another filter king from Burton. Like before I chose the glass rather than aluminium bowl.

However this one was proper glass whereas the previous was plastic (tho advertised as glass). On further comparison the glass sealing surface is concave whereas the plastic one is flat. Problem solved - no leak now but £55 poorer.

I would have thought the concave surface much better at forming a seal wheareas the flat would struggle. I reckon I was sold a duffer with the plastic - has anyone else had this experience?