Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Karcher Pressure Washer

glasgow

I am thinking of buying a Karcher pressure washer (K3.55 or K4.600). The jet pressure is adjustable when using the straight lance. However, the under chassis lance only produce high pressure (120-130 bar). Any advice about how safe to use the high pressure jet to clean underneath the car and behind the wheel?

Thank you

• Area Representative

At that pressure (120-130 bar) i would keep it well away from the chassis tubes and any possible corrosion on the powdercoating. If you want to keep your car clean through the winter, using a hosepipe and spray nozzle should be more than sufficient I reckon.

Good luck with the run back in your new car this weekend *thumbup*

Cheers

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Hi Glasgow... salt really does need to be removed (as I and others have found to our cost!).

It really does EAT into ally if not cleaned.

I would recommend a hose and a stiff brush to really work the salt out of all areas. Don't forget to remove the bonnet and claen around the pedals/heater/battery areas.

Check out Hal... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dalongbloke

I would recommend a hose and a stiff brush to really work the salt out of all areas.

How would you reach underneath the whole car with a brush? I heard people using their Seven all year. Hope they dont raise the car on an axle every nite... Errmmm, may be thats why the Lowflying started a workshop series ;-)

When I owned a modified Jeep I used a Karcher under body lance to clean off the underside after off-roading. Bloody powerful - you have to brace it against the ground to retain any control at all. I certainly wouldn't use it on the underside of a Caterham. *thumbdown*

Karcher make this as an alternative - which I also have. It has high and low pressure options, and can be bent to get into wheel arches etc. You still have to be careful though as it can remove paint at high pressure if you get too close.

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

If you buy a compressor, Machine Mart do this which allows you to fully adjust the power and strength of the 'pressure washer', just not in one unit like a Karacher. So you can have gentle pressurised washing without stripping paint - plus have all the functionality in the garage that having a compressor brings (impact wrench, air ratchet, blow guns, spray guns, die cutters, grinders etc etc etc)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

You could probably make a lance out oh a bit of pipe and attach it to a hose. that way you can reach the hard to vet to places without too much pressure.

Small point though. - isn't a karcher a high velocity washer, as the water exits the lance it will be at the same pressure as it's surroundings…

*wink*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Karcher make this as an alternative - which I also have. It has high and low pressure options, and can be bent to get into wheel arches etc. You still have to be careful though as it can remove paint at high pressure if you get too close.

Nick, thanks for the information. However, in the pic it looks like just an angled lance. How could this control the pressure?

A

Nick, thanks for the information. However, in the pic it looks like just an angled lance. How could this control the pressure?

If you expand the photo using the + button, then you'll see that the nozzle is twistable, which changes the spray pattern. The fact that the body is infinitely adjustable, rather that in a fixed position, also makes it dead handy for getting into awkward places.

If you want to clean off the underside on a regular basis at hose pressure, then why not consider something like this which will be available at any garden centre. It can be extended under your seven to reach everywhere easily, and is a reasonable price.

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

Edited by - Mort on 20 Aug 2010 10:41:02

How would you reach underneath the whole car with a brush?

You can't. Which is why its not a great idea to run a seven in salt.

Try a pressure washer on ally with salt "staining" on it. It does not renove much. A hosepipe or gardening accessory is hopeless. Salt sticks!

Steve (Cornford?) in Brighton uses his 7 for a weekly commute to London in all weathers, and his 7 is not garaged. Upon removing the hood after a few weeks he founf that the salt (trapped under the front of the hood where the poppers are) has phsically eaten into his ally frame. It was unbelievable how it eats! It looked like a battery acid attack.

So ... salt + Caterham not recommmended.

Check out Hal... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dalongbloke

another angle of attack is to coat the bottom of the car in some kind of sealant/protector...

There have been threads in the past where people describe doing this - no idea how successful it is but may save a lot of washing.

I have an ali-bodied seven and the one "good" thing is that it gives you a very quick and visible demonstration of the affects of salt! 😳

---

my mind is blank....

Steve (Cornford?) in Brighton uses his 7 for a weekly commute to London in all weathers, and his 7 is not garaged. Upon removing the hood after a few weeks he founf that the salt (trapped under the front of the hood where the poppers are) has phsically eaten into his ally frame. It was unbelievable how it eats! It looked like a battery acid attack.

Dalongbloke, Have you got Steve's email address please?

Some interesting information:

I was in CC South yesterday and had a chat with Andy who is the guy responsible for cleaning all the cars at CC south. He said he uses pressure washer with no problem. He said if you have a chip you need to be careful not to come very close and at an angle. As for underneath the car, he said no problem and damage could be done. He said one important area to clean is a groove between the chassis and the side wall and you reach it by opening the engine cover. Warm water will help

By the way, picked up my first Caterham yesterday and drove her all the way up north to Glasgow. She performed very well. Torrential rain near the border, but no problem what so ever.... Very excited.... (She is an interim car until i get my R300 in March.... Road sport SV, 2003, 1.8 K Rover, 140 bhp, 5 speed, 16 alloy, leather seat)