Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bolt sizes in \X Flow block

abbot

Hi I just had a bit of a crisis. I went to take the 7 out and noticed an unusual rattling noise. On checking I found that the 2 bolts holding the alternator lower bracket mounting to the block had come un done and in one case disappeared.

Can anyone please confirm the thread size into the block.

Is it 5/16 UNF?

I have a bit of a crisis here in France firstly because it is August and every where is closed the other problem being that everything is metric.

Does anyone know where I can buy a bag of assorted useful bolts suitable for the most common needs of a X Flow

Thanks for any comments

You might be able to use one of the top bellhousing to block bolts as a temporary measure- bolts are UNC sizes in both cases but bolt might have to be packed out with plain washers as the bolt may be to long!

Regards

Richard

Sussex Swede R400

I have got my alternator and alternator mounting bracket off at the moment (being painted in Red Hammerite prior to offering up the new alternator). The three big bolts that hold the (tall) triangular mounting plate to the block are 3/8 UNC x 1 1/4 (inch long) (they have a thread pitch of 16 per inch (UNC) vice 24 per inch (UNF). Pitch measurements were taken with a pitch gauge and bolt dimensions with a micrometer.

Noting the threads in BC about Crossflows shaking their alternators off I intend to renew the split washers (or spring lock washers = Rondelle ressort) on all the bolts. I found the one holding the alternator adjustment bar to the block was broken.

The spring washers for the alternator bolts, and alternator adjustment bar bolts are all equivalent to M8 split washers. The split washers for the bolts holding the alternator mounting plate to the block are equivalent to M10 split washers. I intend to fit split washers as there were only ordinary washers fitted. All the bolts were tight so they must have been loctited but I think I will fit spring washers. I haven't established the torque required when tightening them up yet.

I bought a selection of nyloc UNF nuts from eBay - Quick delivery. There are plenty of suppliers out there - I can't locate the one I used at the moment.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Edited by - Clousta on 17 Aug 2010 19:33:29