Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec wet sump oil level ?

Steve Campbell

Just how do you check the oil level on a standard R400 Wet sump Duratech 2L ?

Changed oil last night ...and basically replaced about the same as came out (about 5-5.5 litres). There is oil on the dipstick...but I can't say I can see a level and as soon as you pull the dipstick out it all pools to the bottom of the check thingy.....

..oh yeah...and whats the consequences of overfilling ? 😳

...and on a related topic...what should the normal operating range be for Stack Oil Pressure reading...mine seems to idle at high 30's then can go up to 60's when on the road ??

Thanks

Steve Campbell

Orange R400 Duratec

Edited by - steve campbell on 16 Aug 2010 19:08:24

Steve, Is it the Raceline wet sump? If it is re-fill with 5L.

After draining the oil system, you would find that the Duratec stores about 500ml of oil so if you got out 5.5 litres sounds like you had a lot in there in the first place, but depends on type of sump *wink*

Whenever you know just mark the dipstick with a hacksaw blade or sharp knife, then you have the correct level.

If you have overfilled, it should discharge into the catch tank during spirited driving *smokin*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

You could ask Caterham *wink*

Their website is of no help, maybe someone on here has a photo or build manual.

Unless you physically remove the oil cooler and drain, that charge would remain.

Over charge of oil in a wet sump has disadvantages but the excess should breathe out

If it is a Raceline 5 litres is fine. Unless you drain the oil cooler completely just stick to the 5L charge. I used to have a 30 row oil cooler on my Raceline wet sump, it only ever took a 5L charge in between maintenance and that spec engine was raced on slicks *wink* Don't worry the sump is puka *thumbup*