Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlights - 1.6 or 1.8?

Nick

A couple of friends are set to buy a 1.6 and a 1.8 Superlight. Has anyone any pearlies on the pros and cons of each car? I thought I read here recently that something about the 1.8 (the ECU?) was a bit bodged in comparison with the 1.6, but my searches keep timing out.

Thanks for any comments.

Nick

They will both make them grin like idiots for ages and ages, if there fantatics like me and only put the roof up in torrential downpours then you may begin to wonder if the grin is frozen in place !

I probably have a slightly biased opinion after two weeks of owning a 1.6 it's a great laugh, power galore, but controllable to, the weather not been good enough for a good cornering test yet as so far me and the car have yet to get friendly !

Ask me again on Saturday once I've been to Millbrook proving ground with Cadence driving tuition !

James

Grinning Idiot

Very happy 1.6 Superlight Owner

If the price difference is still £1000 and they will using them on the road then get the 1.6. I've got a 1.8k SS (but not in a superlight) and if you use the gearbox and red light properly it's much too fast for the road.

On track the speeds are much higher - you can corner as fast as possible right on the limit so acceleration is mainly up in the higher regions (70 - 110) where the areodynamics are taking a large chunk of your power. So the bigger capacity the better - any advantage is probably worth it. Down the straights the Elsies have better areodynamics and at Track days you normally cannot over take on the bends....

Other point is that more people are tuning 1.8 K series than 1.6. So you are more likely to be able to upgrade with the 1.8. I know the heads are the same etc but I'd want to know that the upgrade had been developed for the shorter stroke 1.6. When you go to 100 bhp per litre (not too expensive) you have 20 bhp advantage from the extra capacity.

Piers

Being an owner of a 1.6 S'lite ..... 2 issues I think could be a deciding factor are :

The 1.6 is competitive in the up to 1700 cc sprint championships , 1.8 would be up against superlite R's etc .

The 1.8 when tuned in a similar manner to the 1.6 will not produce any more significant power .

Just a thought .

Dave

IMO a 1600 Superlight. I considered getting the 1800 option but in the end the 1600 in std form was recomended to be better than the 1800 std, even by Caterham!

I went for the std 1600 superlight with an FIA bar, anti-cav tank, windscreen, leather interior and weather gear.

You can see it at www.x777cat.com

Simon.

X777CAT

Thanks for the various comments - keep them coming!

Simon - what prompted Caterham to recommend the 1.8?

Money aside, the 1.8 would seem the better bet - simply because 'there ain't no substitute for coobic inches'; but is it?

The cars will get a lot of trackday use; no competition envisaged at the moment.

The friend after the 1.6 currently has a 1.6Kss and has driven all types of Caterhams, Westfields, et al - but has never owned a 1.8. My friend after the 1.8 is new to 7s and currently owns an Elise 111.

Edited by - Nick on 28 Sep 2000 13:51:36

"So you are more likely to be able to upgrade with the 1.8. I know the heads are the same etc but I'd want to know that the upgrade had been developed for the shorter stroke 1.6. "

Minister to upgrades for both the 1.6 and 1.8. Many of the companies offering products for the 1.8 are simply selling bolt-ons which (a) haven't had that much testing and (b) will work just as "well" on a 1.6 anyway.

If you're considering further upgrades in the future and don't care about being under 1700cc then maybe the 1.8 is the way to go, the extra cc's will give you more low-down grunt. But as they come from the factory I'd say the the 1.6SS is nicer than the 1.8SS - the 1.6 has been dyno mapped at Rover for the SS cams. The 1.8SS hasn't, it relies on a fuel pressure increase to provide the extra fuelling required (a bodge solution since the cams don't require extra fuel everywhere in the rev range).

Mike

Caterham recomended the 1600 over the 1800 - they said the balance of the superlight is better with the 1600 and also the engine is far better tuned in std form. I listened to advice from lots of different people and in the end I went for the 1600.

If I was ever getting another Caterham it would be another 1600 Supelight or an R500/ Blackbird.

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT

I think the best available for the K series at present has to be the Jenvey direct to head bodies which utilise the excisting feul rail and injectors . these are available via QED for £425 . Then add Emerald K series compatable management system which allows the continued use of the existing imobiliser etc at £ 500 , then get it mapped at Emerald for £ 200 . This will probably give 155 bhp on supersport cams . Or dont bother with the supersport kit and add aset of Piper cams and the above for a similar result .

See QED , Dave Andrews and Emerald websits for a whole load more info than I can possibly describe .

I'm sure this route would get the approval of Mike Bees and many others who have gone the whole hog and some more and achieved in excess of 240 bhp !!! from this engine .

Dave

The extra 200 cc of the 1800 is gained by it having a longer stroke within the same bore diameter. Therefore 7000 rpm in a 1600 ss is giving the rings etc lower surface speeds than they expereince in the 1800. The 1600 should therefore be more free reving and less likely to 'do an Alex' when flat out.