Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Rack Gaitor

steve hall

If you are replacing these you do not have to split the track rod joint which can be a bit of a bind.

Just wind the joint of the steering arm by turning the arm, carefully count the number of turns till the rod falls off the track rod end. Take the old gaiter off and slide the new one on then re connect the track rod by screwing the arm back on the exact nunber of turn it took to disconnect it. *biggrin*

The Caterham part is the one to use.

S7MAD

The replacement pack from Caterham/Redline contains a left and right gater complete with cable ties. I had never done this job untill recently but do a search and the guidance given is excellent. I must say that having had some giudance from Mav when were chatting at Stoneligh gave me a fair degree of confidence. Given the price of a ball joint splitter I thought it was easier to split the taper joint and take off the track rod end. It also gave access to clean up the upright etc. It all sounds a bit involved but in reality its a very straight foreward job.

You don't even need a ball joint splitter - just a lump hammer and the knowledge of where to apply it for a damage free separation of joint from upright.

Anyway, you'll be getting some more practise in changing them next year, or the year after . . .

Bri