Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Luggage Rack on a HPC

Midas

• Leadership Team

I'm trying to fit a caterham luggage rack on my HPC - easily done I thought, but no! *eek*

I notice that the bottom lugs on the rack, which sit on the spare wheel carrier, lift the wheel (16 inch) off the rack by about 1 cm. Because the spare wheel sits higher, the spare wheel retaining bolt cannot now be lined up so that it passes into the thread in the back panel.

Is there some special technique - or is it just fiddle until it kind of fits. *redface*

or can't you fit a luggage rack to a HPC? ☹️

I have this problem when using a luggage rack with my 15" Prisoner spare wheel.

Trick I found was to slacken off the wheel nuts on the spare wheel so that the 'Y' bracket has movement. Rotate the wheel so that the 'Y' bracket is horizontal; line up and bolt into the rear of the car (I have to apply a little pressure to the top of the wheel to get the bolt to line up) but it's only a very small amount of flex) and then nip up the wheel nuts again.

Never fallen off or had issues with 2 le mans trips, 2 Swiss trips, 2 Wighblats and a trip to the Lakes.

I wouldn't bend the carrier as you will have to bend it back again when you aren't using the luggage rack.

Cheers

David