Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build Sigma 125 clutch/gear selection

Dan Marsh

I am hoping to get the car started this week, but want to know if I have a problem first.

I have filled the clutch (its light but I don't think their are any air bubbles in the braided hose) but still can't select any gears, clutch up or down. Is this ok? Is something just a bit out of line/ceased and will all be ok once I start/turn over the engine or do you think something more sinister is wrong (ie engine out again)?

Cheers

DM

My Sigma 125 SV build photos

I've just finished my 125 build a few months ago. My clutch was self bleeding, there wasn't a bleed screw as in the manual. Initially the clutch was very light and it took a lot of pedal depressions for the self bleeding system to sort itself out and the pedal to become "normal" and activate the clutch. Have you also checked to make sure these no leak?

Mine has the rotating bleed nipple/valve. There were no leaks as of yesterday evening after we filled the clutch, but I'll have to check again tonight. I'll check the level in the master cylinder too to see if its going down and maybe leaking into the bellhousing where it wouldn't drip out anywhere.

Could the gear lever/stick be misaligned? It moves left/right in the neutral position and a little in the direction of each gear, but not enought to be in gear...

DM

Dear Dan,

I found the gearbox realy stiff to put in gear when first fitted, clutch up/down made no difference, rotating the prop shaft/rear wheels ( depending on what else you have fitted) helped a bit, but I realy hade to shove the leaver to engage anything. After starting, and a couple of trips up and down the driveway the gears are a lot easier, so basically give it a go - as long as you are in neutral when you start - and you can always leave the rear on axle stands if you are unsure.

Mine is off for PBC tomorrow - via a Kart track I know for a 'bed the brakes in' blast.

Hi Dan,

I'm finishing off my SV150 build and had something similar with my clutch. There's a bleed nipple on mine which allowed me to properly bleed the system ok but with the engine running at tick over, it felt reluctant to engage any gear. Engine off it was fine. I didn't force it as what i had was the clutch slipping slipping slightly with the pedal to the floor! This was cured by adjusting the pedal stop - I wound it back about 2cm on the thread and all is perfect now. May be worth winding it back a little, or maybe it right back, then with someone pressing down on the pedal until you reach the end of the travel permitted by the cylinder/hydraulic, adjust it back until it touches the pedal, then the end stop is set.

I've now managed to get it into all gears. It think it was just very stiff and its just clunky now, possibly as there is no gearbox oil and possibly because of other mentioned reasons, but this sounds very normal now. I'm sure I'll have to adjust the stops once I have it running and it'll need "bedding in" as a lot of you say.

Even if POBC can't diagnose the exact problem, miles away and without seeing the car, it's still brilliant for rationalising the thought process and settling the nerves!!

Thanks

DM