Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build (SV) 4-point harness fitting

Dan Marsh

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the rear of the two captive nuts for the inboard lap strap bolt? The front one is not taking the bolt and I was wondering if I could just use the other mount in the chassis. The manual shows the forward mounting, but will the rear get in the way of leather seats/result in a bad fitting harness?

And I've just realised that I have two sets of LH harnesses - does this mean both people will have the buckle on their RH side or do I need CC to send me another?

Thanks

DM

My Sigma 125 SV build photos

Edited by - Dan Marsh on 20 May 2010 21:33:22

Hi Dan,

Buckle always goes inboard to avoid smacking the sideskin under the sill with it when climbing out. You could get Sean to swap you out one of the LH sets for a RH set, or you could swap one of them over yourself.

Edit to add: Oh, look at that! The manual does show the inboard belt going to the front mounting point. During our build I used the rear one because it's opposite the outboard one. I may not even have noticed the forward mounting point. (Ours has the CSR Superlight type Tillets, so we don't have any fouling issues)

What did other people do? Why are there two mounting points on the inboard side?

Martyn

R300GRR

Edited by - Rattie on 21 May 2010 00:10:13

I was wondering if one is actually for the inertia reel belts perhaps, though looking at it you'd expect that to be the front one, and have the rear one for the harness. I guess it made sense at some point 😬

Martyn

R300GRR

Hi Dan - just checked my SV150 which I'm finishing off. I used the rear mounting point on the tunnel to keep it aligned with the outward mount. My 4-point harnesses for driver and passenger are both the same, with the buckle on your RHS (when strapped in), so the driver's side could be accidently tossed out onto the paint work, so I'll have to keep an eye on this. The URL above showing how to change it could come in handy later.

Jeff

Dan - I had a mix - some moved easily some were pretty solid at the correct torque. I played around with the crinkled washers and oiled then, now they all move when torqued up. I think they should move to allow the straps to adjust themselves and align across you and the passenger's shoulders OK, but I'm not sure if this is an IVA requirement. Apparently the bolts have to extend through the chassis member for IVA so don't be tempted to file/cut them down.