Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HUGE fluid leak from front Bilstein R400

Angus

Preparing for a blat this afternoon I discovered a huge river and puddle of hydraulic fluid running down underneath the side of the car, coming from the front RH damper. It was coming out of the top where the piston exits, and was dripping off the bottom onto the floor. Looked like it had been going for a while and I guess the damper must be nearly empty of fluid. I have no idea what has led to such a catastrophic failure. Last used the car a couple of weeks ago, and I did have it up and down on axle stands last weekend. No work anywhere near that wheel though.

Damper is adjustable platform Bilstein as fitted standard to R400 Duratec, about 2 1/2 years old.

Has anyone seen this before - is it a TADTS with Bilsteins or have I got a one-off 'early life' failure ?

I assume some seal inside has gone, can I take it apart and repair it or is it finished ?

Finally, whats the view on driving (gently) the car as is ? With the unit on the bench damper and spring function seems fine as best as I can test it.

Angus

knowing you've got a faulty damper, i'd really not advocate driving the car.

units can be 'refreshed' by bilstien uk. One of the dampers on my sv failed within 4 weeks of getting the car, but that was replaced under warranty. amy be worth speaking to James in CC aftersales to see if they're aware of any others that have failed...

Thanks Mav - seems like at least one other out there - anyone else ? Sounds like from what you are saying self repair is not an option.

Good idea re James at CC aftersales, iI'll give him a call tomorrow.

Angus