Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trouble Starting

MikeE

Over the last 6 months my Duratec has developed a problem when trying to start it. Initially I thought it was just a symptom of the car not being used much and the battery going flat but having tried charging it a number of times I don't think it is this.

The symptoms are that the fuel pump starts spinning at what sounds like the right rate but when I press the starter I either get a half hearted attempt by the starter which then gives up or the starter seems to engage but then do nothing. The strange thing is after a second or two of struggling to turn at all it will then sometimes just fire up?? Last time I had to use jump leads from the tin top then it fired up just fine

Any ideas?

Duratec R538 Build and Modification Pictures

here

If it'll start fine on a jump then surely it must be the battery. Recently charged doesn't necessarily mean able to give good cranking current. If you're still on a Banner, maybe switch to a powervamp or redtop battery.

Martyn

R300GRR

Apologies for slight hijack...

Martyn - have you switched away from Banner already?

With my new Duratec R300 still not passed IVA, it lay unstarted for about 8 days after my initial visit to the IVA test (about a 40 mile round trip). I tried to start it on the weekend and it was flat. I had to give it a good charge overnight before it had enough beans to start the engine. Would you expect the battery to go flat after only 8 days?

I might look at getting one of those battery conditioners...

Martin

Duratec R300 SV built but not yet legal...

• Area Representative
If it'll start fine on a jump then surely it must be the battery.

I don't agree. It may well be the battery but a failing starter motor may well not start from the tiny battery in a Seven but will when using jump leads and the higher (and consistently higher) voltage off a running car (particularly when it has a few revs on it).

I experienced this when the starter motor was failing on a K series.

As Mal points out, corosion reduces the voltage at the motor, raise the voltage to charging level and enough get through.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.