Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Dent repair of tintop

Apothecary

Returned to my wifes run-around tintop and someone has kindly dented the nearside front wing and scratched the door *mad*. I have managed to clean up the paintwork with paint renovator, polish and wax - now no visible scratches or other marks now remaining - but the dent is still there and staring back at me. Paint is not broken thankfully *thumbup*. As the car is less than a year old I do want to sort it out.

I could go to the local body shop but the dent is not too large (just annoying as I know its there) and I'm tempted to have a go myself. Its either a case of wheel and arch liner off and attempting to flatten out from the back (the panel is very thin and accessible) or another method. Has anybody tried the heat and cold ice approach?

I understand that by pre-heating the panel and then applying CO2 freeze spray the panel is likely to pop back into shape *eek*- Has anyone any experience of this method and if so does it work / what are the watch outs 🤔 Any suggestions on suitable freeze sprays 🤔

I do wish people would take more care with other peoples property - obviously the culprit did not leave any message *mad*

Any advice gratefully received.

Paul

• Leadership Team

You have my sympathy - I'm in a similar boat. Three week old car and a dent in the door.

The garage wants £750 to repair because it means a new door (most of the cost is labour). I've heard good reports of the SMART repairers. I'll be interested in any other posts on this topic

I used a local firm when Suzy scored an own goal opening her door onto my Impreza. Dent went across swage line (read difficult) - best £45 I spent! Brilliant job.

They can correct some monster dings but some miniscule ones cannot be done as they cannot access the back to the dent (double skinned panels)

Give them a go first - they tell you their confidence level before starting.

Ian

Edited by - Wrightpayne on 25 Apr 2010 22:00:43 (as I cannot spell!)

Edited by - Wrightpayne on 25 Apr 2010 22:01:22

Paul,

Do not try and diy the dent as it will look worse and will make it very difficult if not impossible for a dent technician to remove the dent.

If you do not have a crease in the dent just a very light indentation around the outer edges and the rear of the panel is not double skinned and accessible a local paintless dent company will be able to remove it, expect to pay £50 - £100.

Nathan

-----My Toy now with Aeroscreen here