Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1st engine start following Winter

anthonym

You can simply turn the engine over on the starter motor with the inertia switch for the fuel pump disconnected, watching for the oil pressure to rise. There are, of course, different opinions on the value of doing this..........

Neil

Build pictures here

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R400......

reason for not using the starter to crank it is wanting to turn the engine over more slowly than that

because I was thinking this might reduce the number of turns and the speed thereof while the camshaft carriers and sleeves are potentially dry

the idea being slower turns are better than faster ones and nevertheless circulate oil

in the alternative to taking the cam cover off and squirting oil everywhere and plugs out and squirting oil inside .

all because of this experience last year http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?id=179405

Now writing it down makes me wonder if it's all cobblers in that turns are turns regardless of speed and anyway if it lasts six years that's ok.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 16 Apr 2010 04:46:08

quality quote from your own PooTube video:

The cam "bearing" surfaces are meant to be black, I reckon half those people at BlahChat wouldnt know which end of a screwdriver to use.

The bearing surfaces are black as the cam is hardened and they don't get polished.

The lobes look 100x better than the cams coming out of other engines...

Sure you arent suffer car hydrocondria? I'd worry about if the cam was missing 1mm from the lobes or the followers have 1/2mm deep grooves in them. A few pits, whats to worry about...

the immobiliser does not de-activate the starter
No, and if it's a 5AS then it doesn't inhibit the engine from starting either. Sure it won't run for long, but if you don't want it to start at all then it's not a good idea to rely on the immobiliser.

Also, the inertia switch only inhibits the fuel pump and not ignition too, as I found out once when I wanted to crank for oil pressure and the thing started and ran for about 6 seconds before the fuel pressure ran out.

If you really want to crank for pressure I'd do it with the plugs out and inertia switch disconnected (to inhibit the fuel pump) so that you don't wash the bores.

John

Edited by - jradley on 17 Apr 2010 01:58:58

No, and if it's a 5AS then it doesn't inhibit the engine from starting either. Sure it won't run for long,

I don't recall ever managing to 'start' my 7 with the 5AS engaged (sure tried a few times) - and it rather defeats the defnition even if it runs for a bit...

Where's Mike Molloy when you need him?

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mine when on the Rover ECU would start and run for a short time (15 secs?) and then stop, with the immobiliser on. Does need to have run recently to have fuel pressure in the line to do so.

Bri

I wonder how I did that - cross everything out . . ?

Edited by - Bricol on 17 Apr 2010 17:43:08

Just crank it on the starter with the inertia switch popped if you must

Are you really that worried about the initial lack of oil pressure?

I don't see how towing it in 2nd is going to be any different from the starter motor.

Cranking is hardly going to do it any harm.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!