Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec - Wiring Oddities : Can you help?

spiderlane

Pressed on with a few things today but not entirely sure that I've got the wiring right.

The manual talks about an earth wire (black wire with ring terminals) from the engine loom which should be earthed on the scuttle - I can't find this anywhere on the loom. Any ideas whether this isn't necessary any more (I don't have and don't need an MFU)?

Also, there are 2 brown wires terminating in a ring connector which aren't mentioned in the manual. You can see them here. I have deduced that this is the live feed for the car and so have connected it to the terminal on the solenoid with the battery live and alternator feed. (The manual talks about a brown/red wire from the chassis loom - is this it?)

Finally, there must be something to invoke the movement of the solenoid so by a process of elimination I determined that this is the white/red pair of wires (terminated with a ring) which I've connected to the silver terminal on the solenoid.

Does anyone have an idea whether I'm even close to getting these right? The loom doesn't match the wiring diagram 100% nor the manual. As I have it currently the loom on the car doesn't seem to be earthed anywhere, however I suppose it could be earthed through the various other earth points on the car (under dash wiper motor, front of chassis by hard brake line union, chassis to engine mount, battery to block).

(Oh, it's a Stack dash in case that's relevant)

All ideas welcome :)

ETA - Stack

Edited by - spiderlane on 2 Apr 2010 19:41:44

The white with red stripe pair with a ring is indeed the solenoid signal. It's shown as a single WR line in the R400 engine wiring diagram.

I ran my negative battery tail to the engine block and terminated to the unused EGR port thingy on the intake side. Some cars have it going to the chassis bush hole in front of the battery. Like this.

Don't remember the brown wires off the top of my head. Will check tomorrow if I get the chance.

I think you're right about non MFU cars not having the little earth connection to the scuttle.

Martyn

R300GRR waiting for V5

Agree the 2 brown wires go to the starter solenoid and there is no engine loom earth.

It may be worth calling Caterham to see if you can get some pictures of the IVA approved wiring layout. It is a lot different and requires alot more tie wraps and saddle clamps every 12 inches.

I see your multiway plug is sticking up in the air. So did mine, it felt like I was stressing it when I tried to secure it - but it needs to be for the IVA.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for the replies chaps.

@Martyn - re negative tail, I've bolted mine to a convenient threaded hole on the head. You can see it here just to the right of the fuel pipe connection. Is this where you have yours connected? I should have spotted that WR on the diagram meant White/Red!! Is there a key to the colour codes? Most are obvious but is "B" black, brown or blue? What is "N", is it browN? What is U is it blUe?

@Andrew - Yes good idea. I haven't cable tied anything down yet so will call CC next week and ask about this.

No, I've got a battery isolation switch too. Still puzzled what these tails are on yours. I'll have another look with a torch when I get the chance.

It's probably worth asking Sean C, drop himan email with your photo in. It wouldn't be fun to find out that these aren't what you think they are, the loud and smelly way!

Martyn

R300GRR waiting for V5

I spoke to Chris Weston at the factory to confirm that the 2 Brown wires should connect to the solenoid.

I had thought that this was the case as the ring was M8, not M6 as in the case of the battery.

Regards

Andrew

I noticed in this photo here:

oil tank mounting

You had the same problem as me, in that it was a big gap.

Caterham provided me with some washers as shown here:

Oil Tank Mounting Washers

Hope that helps.

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Edited by - nigelpugh on 6 Apr 2010 17:10:11