Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can anyone recommend a good garage floor sealing paint?

RogueVector

I'm preparing the garage for the kit car build in a couple of months and want to seal the garage floor...

It's currently just raw concrete with no treatment at all.

I was looking at this product:

here

Does anyone have any experience of a good product to use and/or any views about this one I linked in above?

If you really want to keep the dust down and the job to last, all concrete floors need to be acid etched before painting, to remove the top soft dusty layer, and allow the paint to key into the slab.

For choice of paint, a two-pack epoxy paint is the best. When cured, nothing will stick to it, and it doesn't lift. DON'T BUY CHEAP FLOOR PAINT, IT IS CRAP. You get what you pay for, so try a reputable paint manufacturer, not a B&Q special offer.

Try Watco for floor paint, acid etch & advice.

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

I've always used International floor paint and I use my garage pretty hard.

However, you MUST use a concrete hardener/dustproofer FIRST otherwise it won't stick properly. Follow the hardener with 2 coats of paint and it's last for years...

Stands up to hard use, wheelspins, fluids (even brake fluid, if you don't leave it for days).

2-pack epoxy is good if you have imperfections you need to level out, though!

HTH - Simon

PS - Don't forget to paint the walls/ceiling white as well. Makes a massive difference!

here For some floor tiles - ask for Morris and tell him you are in the Lotus 7 Club - we had a bulk buy last year and he may still be feeling kind *thumbup* *wink*

The tiles are in the pictures that are linked to the rack Bulk Buy Grey in that instance - But you can get other shades - I have them in Black *thumbup* better than paint and have been 100% up to now - garage looks good too and no need to keep repainting and I did not seal my concrete and there has been no dust....... *thumbup*

You can also use 2K paint, it's not as good as Epoxy but it's good. It all depends how much you need.

If you know someone ho work at a paint factory, they always have left overs or returns of wrong orders, you should be able to get this for free as normally it's useless and to expencive to use in another color or by the time you can use it it will be out of date.

long time ago we painted the floor with 2K every winter with some of the left overs we had. And last year they binned 7000kg *eek*

Edited to say you never will be able to do it in 1 layer, if it's only to build and store the seven i would not use a undercoat, just clean with water and "javel" let it dry and paint 2 layers

Edited by - elie boone on 31 Mar 2010 17:29:07