Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo woes; again

alextangent

I'm on my third speedo gearbox drive in 3 years (4 speed), and the latest nylon jobbie has finally stripped after less than 400 miles. I am NOT spending another 12 quid and several hours taking the engine gbox out to replace the blasted thing.

What are my options? I really like having a speedo (and I think it may be a legal requirement too). I'd prefer to have the dial rather than a bike speedo.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Covered underneath. LA 4 speed cars have a completely inaccessible tunnel. It's an engine out job.

I'm wondering if I can put in a new electronic speedo, and run it from some kind of wheel based trigger, a bit like the bike speedos?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

• Area Representative

Hi Alex,

Can you not create an access point into the tunnel like the later cars and cover it with a big grommet? A little bit of a faff now but it would make the job a lot easier in the future (assuming you carry on buying replacement speedo drives....)

Otherwise the bike speedo route is a very neat alternative and can be fitted in minutes - and you get the benefit of a clock in the car!

Cheers

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

a bit like the bike speedos

A number of people (me included) have installed bike computers from a wheel sensor to act as speedo/odometer.

Took me (a numpty) about two hours to get it all fitted and smart, very pleased with it.

Myles has some pages on his website explaining how he fitted his - have a look at that.

Dicks