Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wideband

finnie

After a winter of the car sitting neglected it's time to get the yellow peril out when i get back onshore next week.

I've got an emerald in the car and have wideband lambda sitting in my cupboard waiting to be fitted. It's time to do it but I'm wondering how easy it is. I've read the instructions and all that but am just worried that after i do it, the car won't start. But thinking about it, will the wideband installation affect the current map? In my mind the answer is no but I'm not sure. The car has a narow band so I assume it's sending some kind of signal to the ecu at some point. If I take away that signal, am i dead in the water until it's all set up. I have some time booked with a more knowledgable ecu man who has said he can sort my kangaroo petrol issues and he needs the wideband. I'd hoped to save him time by installing it myself! He is a 80 mile drive away so getting the car to him if I break something will be a problem

Any advice welcome

Main worry is that when I remove the wiring for the narrow band is that the wideband wont use the same connections to the ecu. Also worried that the new wideband connections are already being used for something else and I shouldn't remove them!!!

Car is not standard and i didn't build it so am terrified of disconnecting something important.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

The narrow band sensor is not used during startup. Nor is the wideband. From cold the sensor has a pre-heat time of some 30 seconds, but the ECU won't switch to closed loop until the engine is warmed up too.

In other words your engine will still be able to start if you don't mess with other things as you remove the wiring for the lambda sensor.