Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 release bearing/Quaife seq.

Trev G

I was wondering if anyone has fitted the new G60 Quaife to the R500 (K) whilst retaining the standard release bearing/clutch cable? On the old 6 speed there is a larger diameter sleeve for the release bearing to slide onto.I cant see any way of putting the sleeve on to the new Quaife as the bolt pattern is different .If I was to fit a smaller diameter release bearing (assuming one was available) surely fitting it straght on to the spinning shaft without a sleeve would wear it out in 5 minutes. HELP!!

Cheers. Trev

Trev

I have fitted a 60G to my Vx replacing the Caterham 6 speeder...

When I purchased the box I specified an input shaft sleeve/front bearing cover for manual clutch activation and what I received is exactly the same as on the old 6 speeder/Type 9 but with the new bolt pattern....

I use my old ford clutch fork and cable but with a bespoke bearing carrier (Burton power) for the convex release bearing and twin plate 71/4" clutch....

It is possible to buy the right cover from Quaife

Gary

Hi Gary , I phones Len at Quaife today and was told that no sleeve was available.I presume you got your box direct from Quaife? Looks like I'll have to use the sleeve off the 6 speed box and drill new holes.Cheers anyway.

Trev

Just back in from the garage and it's back to the drawing board. It appears the seal on the sleeve of the 6 speed is smaller in diameter than that of the cover on the Quaife.If no-one can help , there may well be a very cheap Quaife appearing soon in the for sale section!

Trev

I bought my box from Quaife via Phil at Road and Race.... it’s just been back for it first service...

Must admit this seems a bit odd... I had no problem specifying what I wanted...

I guess the bearing cover you have is for a hydraulic clutch... should have a number (3 or 4) mounting holes on the front face...

If all you need is the sleeve to run a manual clutch release and fork etc along, and nothing is forthcoming from Quaife, would it not be possible to turn up a sleeve and mount it off the hydraulic bearing mounts....??

Just a thought before throwing in the towel on an expensive box...

Gary

Cheers Gary.I had another look at it today and with the release bearing in position on the clutch fork I dont think it would last more than 5 minutes due to excessive movement without the sleeve.I also showed it to a reputable engine builder guy in my area who also agreed it looked pretty hopeless without some form of sleeve.I got an e-mail from Len at Quaife today who strongly advised against making up a sleeve to fit.All very confusing .

Trev