Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Duratec Airbox

Gasmaninaseven

POBC,

Having recently moved to CC Roller Throttle bodies, I'm interested in options for noise reduction, if necessary.

The latest R500 models seem to have a new airbox, with intake under the bonnet near the passenger side of the scuttle- already a "busy" area, especially with heater. Higher intake temps too; though the quantitative significance of this I'm not sure. There is no obvious way of ducting air in from the outside.

The earlier cars look like they have the carbon airbox from the C400 racecar- I favour this as a simple, and no doubt cheaper, option. Does anybody have any pics of this setup? Which Titan backplate does it use and which airfilter - does it simply fit over the Pipercross filter?

Thanks,

Neil

Build pictures here

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R400......

Neil,

My R500 has the later style intake under the bonnet too, not sure how good it is because of the hot air in the area at intake point.

However I am reliably informed it makes the induction noise quieter.

I think the box you are referring too is the one below, which was what I ordered with my R500, but CC switch to the other type:

C400 Airbox

They are not that cheap from CC though, and you need the back plate too.

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

I have the earlier version that Nigel linked to. It fits over the std Pipercross filter that comes with the R series, and attaches onto the std backplate - effectivly sandwiching the filer betwen the carbon box and backplate with the use of longer quater turn fasteners.

The box significantly reduces noise (havent measured it ) but it does rob a little throttle response.

If your coming to Llandow I can bring it for you to try or look at my links below *biggrin*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

I bought the earlier-style airbox for my 2.3 Duratec, and with the extra height of the 2.3 engine, there was some definite interference between the bonnet and the topside Dzus fastener on the airbox.

It took a bit of fiddling and a piece of carbon fiber to cut that fastener off and replace with two fasteners to the side and one at the bottom. (I didn't come up with the solution; Nathan Down, formerly of CC and who some of you may know, is helping me finish my car).

The standard Pipercross "dome" air filter is a press-fit into the old-style c/f airbox. I am sure that some amount of intake surface area of the filter is lost by being flush up against the airbox. So we tossed the dome filter, and put four individual Pipercross foam intake "socks" on the four trumpets.

(I launched an earlier thread on BC on this question of airbox interference with the standard Pipercross air filter, but got no responses).

Alaskossie

Neil,

Now that you've asked... It is 0 degrees F. outside right now,and I am just finishing with the construction of a 3500 square foot garage with radiant heating in the floors.... see the thread at:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41882&highlight=alaskan

But my Seven would not wait, and is being built in a garage down in Colorado where it's a bit warmer.

Hope to have an article for Low Flying about driving the Seven from Colorado to Alaska next summer... however, I should not count my chickens before they hatch.....

Alaskossie