Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fual Pump advice from Zetec Conversions

NevDyson

Hi, I am after some info on the fuel pump I am going to need to run a 200 bhp Zetec. I have changed the tank to one of Andy Wiltshires Injection long range tank. Mainly as I did not want to have to fit a seperate swirl pot.

Will the standard fuel pump as fitted to 1.4 / 1.6 be man enough? Or will i need to buy the standard item from Caterham and then the upgraded internals? Have any of the members that have converted from Xflow to Zetec any experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Q361 ANJ here

I've a standard pump in my 200 hp zetec and it's fine. You have to watch the spec of the injectors you are using with it. If the holes ion the injectors are to osmall they rewquire mopre pressure to run them. My old (beige) injectors needed the pump to run flat out, i.e. high pressure on the fuel regulator to achieve about 185 brake and the fuelling was verging on marginal.

My new injectors from a VX220 turbo (I think they're blue) are hardly ever open and the fuel pressure is very low in comparison. What you're specifying is a fuel injector/pump combo. I don't believe my fuel pump will ever be a limiting factor as long as the car remains normally aspirated.

I used the standard pump on my 2.3 Duratec in its original incarnation producing 235 bhp. It was probably marginal with that but only really needed upgrading to the R500 pump once Ammo got his hands on the engine, so I don't think you will have any problem running a 200 bhp Zetec.