Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Using POR 15

Terry Field

The A Frame and chassis tubes at the rear of my S3 have no powder coating left. I have a combination of rusty tubes and some apparently coated with a black rubberised coat - probably some kind of under chassis sealant.

I was thinking of having a clean up over the winter and using POR 15, but I have some questions:

POR 15 requires the areas to be degreased and they provide a cleaner for this purpose. If the cleaner gets near the bushes on the A frame will it do any damage?

Will it matter if the POR 15 is painted over the bushes?

Will the POR 15 work if I paint it over the rubberised bit (which looks horrendous to remove)? If not, any ideas how to remove the rubberised sealant?

Any advice gratefully received

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

If you going to remove the A frame, I dbe tempted to do as I did last year and push the bushed out with a vice and get it blasted & re-powder coated locally. Shouldnt cost more than £50 at a guess. You could get a load of other stuff done at the same time if appropriate.

You can get a new A frame for not much more but i'm not sure if this includes bushes.

I took off my a frame to make it easier to paint with POR15, I don't remember being that careful around the bushes but I wasn't slapping it around at the sametime!

Wear gloves, goggles, hat, boiler suit.... do not leave anything exposed!

• Area Representative

New A Frames do come with bushes fitted, @ £63.25 or £69.00 depending on your model. Bushes on their own are £6.15 each.

I chose to replace the A Frame during my rebuild rather than faff about, but ISTR that the cost then was a little over £40 (not that long ago either!) so it was an easier decision to make.

I painted my front wishbones with POR-15 and VHT Barrel Paint though and masked the bushes with bolts, washers and tape. The experience doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

Edited to add that I would remove the rubberised coating if were you, and if it resists Nitromors type strippers, try mechanically removing it with a drill-mounted rotary wire brush or mule skinner. I would also recommend POR 'Metal Ready' zinc phosphating solution once everything is cleaned up and degreased.

HTH,

Cruds

Edited by - Crudders on 28 Oct 2009 16:49:03