Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Am I the only one thinking ...

Laurence Wilson

... that the Seven's just too fast for the roads?

I finally put the engine back in at the beginning of the year and have hardly used it. Ok, so perhaps bending it may have dented my enthusiasm but I can honestly say I have more fun in the little Punto. In fact, it's a thought that's been at the back of my mind since my brief tenure with the Land Rover, which predated my trip through the hedge outside Goodwood.

I'm not sure whether it's the speed I'm falling out of love with, or the car itself. I'm probably in a smaller minority because I have little to no interest in putting it on the track, either.

Too scared to post this upstairs!

Laurence is running in the Great South Run. Please click here to sponsor me!

Edited by - Peardrop on 24 Oct 2009 22:17:07

Sounds like a confidence thing if you've stuffed it and not got back on the bike...

The too-fast thing tends to evaporate as you get more miles under your belt after a lay-off - I was out for a 110-miler blast late last Saturday and with no traffic on my favourite loop-route down through the borders, I was absolutely on fire. Contrast that to when I got the Westie (Caterham is broken and needs fixing...) - I was pretty uncomfortable with the general handling, apparent lack of grip etc. etc. but have kept adding miles to the point where I'm roughly as comfortable in the Westie as I ever was in the Caterham.

I'll be out again in an hour or so - despite the sh*tty weather - to add some more wet-weather miles to my confidence (oh, and to go and support the girly in a 10K run... *wink*)

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Sounds like a confidence thing if you've stuffed it and not got back on the bike...

I just don't know, Myles. The thought has crossed my mind but I've been comfortable enough in the car on the rare occasion I've been out. I just haven't tried to make time for blats this year and have hardly been to any area meets.

Contrary to the above, I still want to put a 'blade engine in it - the whole 'meccano' aspect still interests me - which makes me wonder what it is I'm missing at the minute.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has had this crisis of faith *confused* As my comment on this flickr post shows, it's a concern that predates my excursion through the hedge.

Just a little confused, really.

Oh, and I finished the run 😬 But I'll post more later about that ...

Laurence Is running in the Great South Run. Please click here to sponsor me!

... that the Seven's just too fast for the roads?

IMO we all tend to ask ourselves questions at one point or another ...

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

I'd say it's more it's too "conspicuous" to use "properly" on the road

Well, I think that's a very good point.

I *have* been giving it a lot of thought because having the car back just hasn't lived up to my expectations/past experiences.

I haven't been on a proper blat this year and I suspect the reason is I don't trust myself not to get carried away - the same reason I'm reluctant to do a track day, in and around other cars.

Perhaps what I want to do is try sprinting. I want to use the car again and racing against the clock appeals to my analytical side.

I can't let myself turn into a polisher *redface*

Laurence Is running in the Great South Run. Please click here to sponsor me!