Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice - 2.0L Zetec 45's Webs

GHPT

I am planning on replacing my Ford Twin Cam with a 2.0L Zetec from Raceline.

I currently have 45 Webbers on my Twink..... Shall I keep them and put on the new Zetec or use injectors and get a new bonnet and get it repainted so I don't have a hole in the bonnet anymore?

Do I need to get an ECU with these? Do I need new electronic dials then?

Maybe a price indication will help persuade my decision.

Some advice would be great!

Thanks Guys.

George :)

I agree, get an Emerald or an MBE ECU and a set of Jenvey's, they transformed my Zetec.

However, I think you'll be hard pushed to get them inside the bonnet on an S3 chassis - even with short rampipes (45mm) they will be only 20-30mm from the bonnet at the front which isn't enough space to get much of a filter on.

Have a look here to see my bonnet/filter space.

Phil Waters

Do I need to get an ECU with these?

For fuel injection (TBs) you'll need: TBs, an ECU to control them, new fuel pump (injection runs at around 40psi whereas carbs only need 2-4psi) plus ideally fuel tank with swirlpot but at least one with fittings for the return fuel line etc... I reckon on it costing £1500-2000 for the cost of TBs and ECU etc though you might get £2-300 for your carbs and of course the twincam will be worth something too.

Do I need new electronic dials then?

no, not unless you 'want' them *wink*

You will need an ECU regardless of whether or not you go for fuel injection, so if you can't afford to go the whole hog immediately, at least get an ECU that will later support fuel injection. Some ECU's, such as the Weber Alpha are available in 2 types, so be careful which one you choose. Personaly, I would go for an Emerald every time. *thumbup*

Hi Nigel, whilst they are certainly short and stubby TB's, they still use a manifold, so not direct to head *tongue*

However, you've also got to be careful of not having your inlet too short as this will loose you torque (I believe!). I think the ideal is something like 17" from the centre of the valve to the end of the ram pipe altohugh I suspect mine is closer to 14-15" at a guess.

Phil Waters

Jenvey can help you with manifold and very short throttle bodies. I am sure they will will fit isnde the bonnet, but you will compromise the power and torque of the engine due to less than ideal inlet tract length.

Take a lokk at the Jenvey webpage.

For the ECU i would suggest a DTA, preferably a S60 that gives a lot of nice features, datalogging, and a superb user interface. I guess if you just hand your car to someone for mapping that doesnt make much of a diference.

Racelien could also be a source for a complete ecu, throtle body solution. I even think their omex ecu comes complete with a suitable map for a standard engine.

Thanks for all the responses.

The current tank is a simple tank with a fuel pump outside.

If I get the $2750 Raceline engine 200BHP with injectors, I am looking at the 975.00 ecu, 4-1 manifolds, ram pipes and throttle linkages, fuel tank and maybe bell housing, and engine mounts.

I have a hole in my bonnet where the 45's stuck out... will this not suffice for the air filter attached to the TB's?

George :)

Edited by - GHPT on 9 Sep 2009 20:17:20

Your current bonnet hole will be fine, as will your air filter and backplate. I would suggest that if you live near emerald at all that's the ECU to go for. I have MBE and travel to London to get it mapped although NOrthampton is also a destination I could choose. I think the decision becomes more about who wil lmap it for you than about the ECU.

Phil - I didn't suggets the scholar option was DTH (notice no colon inserted in the sentence). Jenvey used to do the DTH. I would add that scholar could probably advise on power/torque on the shorter manifold. Without trying it you just never know.