Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A number of 1600SS questions/concerns

Gary G

I've had my bog-standard 1999 Superlight (with Appollo) since the beginning of May this year and it was perfect:

Water temp: 80

Oil temp: 80

Oil pressure at speed: 4

Oil pressure at warm idle: 2

Recently, having started driving more quickly, I've noticed that when going fast, the water temp rises to 85ish as does the oil temp. Plus if I let the car idle for too long the oil pressure falls to around 1.6. Is this okay?

Also, when it has been at idle for a while and I turn the engine off it occassionaly runs on for 1-2 seconds. This can't be right. Any ideas?

C7 GAR

"They all do that, Sir." is the line to use here!

Those values are totally normal for normal road driving. If you take it onto a track you probably will see them increase more, esspecially the oil one ... I wished the tempereature readings on my car stayed in that region on the track ☹️

The idle one is more then fine as well ... the hotter the oil gets the lower that presure will be. Nothing to worry about there either.

If you switch off the ignition key while your fan is running the fan momentarily will "generate" enough power to keep the ECU + ignition going. After a second or 2 the power delivered is too low to maintain the electronics and the engine will die ... perfectly normal again. I 'm planning to install a diode in line with the fan to get rid of that problem, not for any mechanical reason just to remove the delay (off should be off for me).

Edited by - stijn luyck on 28 Jul 2002 06:46:31

Gary , Marks old supersport still runs on *wink* if the cooling fan is running - it seems to be normal for a lot of K's.

My water temp is around the 80 mark most of the time and quite often its nearer to 70, oil pressure hardly ever drops below 4 even at idle although its a little lower since I changed the oil on Friday. I dont have an Apollo though but I've heard it will cost you about 0.5 bar. I dont have an oil temp (yet...) so I cant help you there.

Do your tappets rattle sometimes ? - mine do although there doesnt seem to be a pattern to it. I'm assuming it is tappets because it comes and goes whereas I think if it was something else then it would rattle all the time.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Edited by - Nick Woods on 28 Jul 2002 22:07:48

Nick, the oil pressure's unbelievable on P8 isn't it? It's definitely a tappet rattle and I've heard it on other Ks too - it started when Hyperion changed the oil to Comma Synergee (I believe Caterham now recommend something else). What I was going to do was to choose another brand at the next oil change to see whther that sorted it out. What did you go for in the end?

As for the water temp, don't forget I fitted a high capacity radiator - car never got near to 90 degrees in summer but took yonks to warm up in the winter!

I used SynerG as well - do you know what was in it before ?

Several people I've spoken to have much the same sort of noise, it might just need a new tappet or two the next time its serviced as changing the oil hasnt affected the noise at all. All the VW's I've had have had at least one which needed replacing so its doesnt seem to be particularly unusual.

I did debate putting some engine flush through it to see if it helped (I've heard several stories where it did) but have had so many different opinions about whther its a good idea or not that I decided not to. In any case if I had done that I'd really want to change the foam insert in the sump to get all the old flusher out, and I didnt really fancy dropping the sump as I dont have access to either a pit or a hoist. Getting the oil filter off was hard enough as there was no room for my chain wrench.

The best bit was my wife coming outside to say its a lovely evening, why dont you go out in the car instead of sitting here with me. That was 8:30, i got home again at about 10:45 😬

Nick

Nice blat/drink yesterday Mr G. And don't worry about keeping up with Mr Piper. We have youth and therefore quicker reflexes on our side. Besides, if he gets too fast we can always take out his sump plug again *wink*

psst. Don't tell him we only let him go in front so we can watch the flames. 😬

Don't know if I can do the Goat on Sunday. Forgot that the Ferrari festival was on this weekend and I'm gonna try and get tickets for that!

Ooo! I'm asking if anyone has got a sock! Does that mean I don't have to get out as often any more?

Edited by - al crickmore on 29 Jul 2002 10:43:28

Al, 😬

Can't believe you've admitted to the sump plug theft, he'll be after us now!

I was also thinking about the Ferrari/Maserati Festival. Might go on Saturday so that I can still go to the Goat on Sunday. Like I said, I reckon the Goat will be superb if this weather holds...

C7 GAR

Cool! Can I go with you? Please! Go on! That way I won't get lost or try and steal any cars. You are my calming influence Gary. *wink* I was just thinking about doing Saturday as it goes. I'm assuming tickets are available on the day. I did enjoy the Goat last time out. Should be a good turnout I reckon.

Al, didn't U go to watch Superbikes then? If not, why didn't I get informed of your blat? Not afraid of my SLR are you?....The Ferrari festival's £45 for the weekend including tickets for Eric Clapton & Jools Holland Saturday night...and I may be free that night too.....

Couldn't be arsed to spend another evening on the M25 after Brands. Spent too many Sundays sitting on that f**king road in the last few weeks. Myself and Mr Guest took the lasses out for a drive/drink at some pub in Epping which I think you may have heard of - it's name escapes me. Sorry mate, should have phoned you. And for the record I'm not afraid of you buddy boy *wink* in fact I love following your car - nothing due to the way it's driven mind - cos it not only looks the nuts but sounds it too!

So will we be going to Brands a la Three Stooges on Saturday? Won't be there all night as I have to get back and meet my lady. *wink*

Mark, on the 'on topic' bit of the thread *wink* do you know what kind of oil was in P8 before Hyperion changed it ?

and on the 'off topic' bit, I might be off to the goat this weekend although it depends on the weather, if its dry and cool we're off to Legoland with the kids, if hot its the beach and if cool and damp then its the Goat.

Nick

Nick, before Synergee? check out the invoices that Ratrace gave me, as they serviced the car before I bought it - I used Hyperion. Ratrace use Valvoline now but I don't know whether they did then.

I'm going to put a thread up re The Goat - I'll be there, have to see a man about a Porsche - and I'll bring the cover and grill along. If nothing else Nifty or someone can take the grill for you...

Al, I knew you wouldn't go to Brands....

I'd want to see EC as well as the racing - I'm not sure you can get in without paying the full £45 - a lot to pay for watching a few rust buckets roll round Brands *eek*

Thanks Mark - I'll hunt through the old receipts.

Nifty is definitely going to the Goat (at least he was when I saw him on Friday night) so if i cant make it please give him the grille.

Are you buying another Porsche ? *wink*

Nick