Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Turnbutton fastening

Clousta

First post from a newbie who has been lurking for a few weeks until my membership came through. I will post proper intruction on chitchat but here goes with my first (simple) technical question.

I have the old style side screens/doors with the hinged flap at the bottom. It is secured to the car by a turnbutton (located 3.5 inches forward of the rear wing). When secured the hinged flap is then secured by a strap and popper inside the cockpit (like the later sidescreens/doors I beleive).

I am getting a boot cover and a tonneau made and want to be able to run with the passenger side covered by the tonneu with the sidescreens fitted when the weather is bad. Also to be able secure the driver's side screen over the tonneua when parked.

To do that I need to change the turnbutton stud on the side of the car to a double height turnbotton stud to accomodate the thickness of the tonneau and the sidescreen/door.

The turnbuttons on the car are secured by two posidrive screws. They look to be M4 size but could well be imperial.

Question. Will the turnbuttons have been secured using self tapping screws (perhaps with thread locking compound) or would they have been machine screws and have a nut and washer behind the panel? If the latter then I will have to gain access from the inside of the cockpit by removing the trim panel (or part thereof) by drivilling out the rivets?

I will have a go at unscrewing them tonight. I hope the answer is the simple one.

Thanks

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

• Area Representative

Hi Gavin and welcome to the club. I think the last car I fitted these type of fittings too was a car I built in 1988. They were simple self rappers used to secure the turnbuckle base to the car. It maybe that you don't have alter anything though if you simply leave the tonneau unclipped and tucked inside the car at the corner immediately in front of the rear wheelarch. The door can then use the original fixing as normal IYSWIM

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

Hi Gavin, and welcome *wavey*

I still use the same doors as you have - when I have the real screen on, not the Brooklands.

As Nick says, just tuck the tonneau in at the corners, and fold towards the front. This way you can also use the flap strap to secure the flap, which you can't do with the tonneau fully in place.

Hope this helps.

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

The turnbuttons are secured by self tappers, no threadlocking compound either. Simple!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a number of options now. On closer inspection the sidescreens' turnbutton sockets have a rubber surround stuck on the inside, presumably for a bit of padding and to make a snugger fit. So I can try the tonneau (or may be a test piece of material) and sidescreen with a single height stud and change to a double height stud if necessary.

The good news is that the FIA roll bar has turned up from CC. *biggrin*

The bad news is that was was shipped by air which I wasn't expecting! Ouch, *cry*

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)