Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series oil pressure

Andy N

Not specifically for a K, but usual is 1 - 2 bar for tick-over, warm and 4 - 5 bar when driving, maybe a bit higher depending on Apollo tanks, oil grade, etc.

When I first got mine, my first drive, having just built it and got the plates that morning was with my brother in the car. We pulled up to some traffic lights about 5 miles from home and I glanced at the oil to see it at the first line above the red. I was 19yrs old and it was my first car, no experience of what it should be, apart from the stuff in the manual about getting 4 bar when running.

Panic sets in and I pull over to check level and for leaks... followed by a very steady drive home staring at the gauge (which of course was showing good pressure when running normally). I phoned Caterham only to be told 'that's is normal Sir, you muppet!' 😬

Phil Waters

Of course, all of this is near pointless if you have an electrical sender for your oil pressure, they are notorious for being inaccurate and failing. Mine was carp from the off. I now use the mechanical setup as recommended by many on here.

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands

OK guys - many thanks *smile*

I have 2bar tick over and 4-5bar when driving...

I don't know why but I had a moment of worry following some discussions with my local cat7 dealer - I changed the sender - they were talking about the sump baffles...its done 10K...

Anyway - thanks again..

Andy