Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU mappings etc - why?

anthonym

I am just searching to see if I can i.d. my ecu without walking to the car (15 minutes or so) and I see there is much about remapping.

I use my 2000 R500 road only (ok, aside from the 'ring last week) and cannot help but be curious what are the benefits? and do I want them?

Anthony

Mapping optimises the power output of the engine by adjusting the fueling and ignition timing at various "load points" and RPMs.

Basically it means you don't use too much (rich) or too little (lean) fuel to achieve maximum power and/or torque. If you run lean you will get "pinking" under load which can destroy your piston lands or melt holes in your pistons at high revs. If you are running VERY rich you can get bore wash where all the lubrication gets removed from the rings, also you emissions will be very poor. Both of these can reduce the power output of your car. Turbo cars are often set up to be rich at high rpm because the excess fuel is used to "cool" the cylinders keeping the exhaust gases lower and thus helping to produce more power without damaging the engine.

If you change something major on your engine like new throttle bodies, new design exhaust primaries, fuel pressure regulator, injectors or high power fuel pump you can get you ECU re-mapped to take advantage of the new performance parts.

I am Leg End...

If you change something major on your engine like new throttle bodies, new design exhaust primaries, fuel pressure regulator, injectors or high power fuel pump you can get you ECU re-mapped to take advantage of the new performance parts.

Ah BUT only if it's a programmable ECU not a MEMS

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary