Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petrol tank leak/seepage?

prangerman

The car is an S3 K Series R300 - 5 years old. I bought it with 7k+ miles on the clock and it now has a little over 10k.

It has always had a petrol smell from the filler side inside the boot after a fill up and thereafter, tho' not so from the aero filler itself which just stinks a bit when it is opened (quite unlike my experience with my previous 7 a 10 year old K Series 1.6 SS).

I overfilled somewhat a few weeks ago - not paying attention while posing in the filing station as the car got all the looks that a bright 7 gets on a sunny day *redface* while soaking my feet. (They are now Shell V Powered so now I walk like a Ferrari.) I noticed today that in addition to the strongish petrol smell from the filler side of the boot after filling up before prepping the car for the run to Silverstone this weekend that there was a thin black tar deposit along the rear filler side tank bracket and surrounding areas on the bottom of the tank. I cleaned it off and will check to see whether it reappears.

Any thoughts on whether this is a symptom of whatever has been causing the strong petrol smell getting worse or simply the result of the petrol from the overfill cleaning out some oily muck?

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

could be you have a pin hole developing at the bottom of the tank where the tank sits on the chassis. There should be a rubber strip between chassis and tank. Without this and probably even with it, you can get grit in the gap that with vibration eventually wears a hole in the tank ☹️.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

Peter,

This IS a well timed thread, I've just been out and noticed the same. I had previously had a small hole where the tank support had rubbed against the tank, and I'm now thinking I might have a leak from the level sensor gasket at the top, but only when the tank is brimmed. It certainly makes a mess along the bottom edge.

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

[subscribe: List-subscribe@Oxford7s.net]

I have had the boot cover off to look at the plumbing for anything obvious, but if there is a pin hole somewhere my glaucoma ridden eyes aren't going to see it unless I take off my specs and look closley with a naked flame.

D'oh. *wink*

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

Rich, for a while I used to get two brown, tar like lines appear on the underside of the tank within a couple of weeks of cleaning it every time. It was a leaking sender gasket, once replaced no more issues *thumbup*

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere

I have replaced my sendor gasket twice now in 5 yeras .

If i fill the car up to the brim , drive it home ( half a mile ) and leave it in the garage on a hot day the petrol expands and forces its way out , spliting the gasket .

I now know why it happens and avoid leaving it parked for long periods with a brimmed tank .

Darren told me he hardly ever sells replacements , it would seem the problem is not unique to me .

Hi Guys I have had trouble with my fuel Tank it has ether gone porous or a stone has punctured the underside of the tank I think its gone porous, ☹️ it was a very small leak so I have managed to seal it with some Thiokol (PRC) which we use to seal aircraft wing tanks, *biggrin* but it will need a new tank eventually which is a bit off on a 2005 car 😳 Regards Paul

I have a brand new fuel tank from k series injection, including pump and level thingy for sale. I have not worked a price out as I only got it back this week from the company who were going to modify it but built me a new one instead.

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

Hi Peter, I realise I hijacked your thread here but I wanted to post up the resolution to my problem in the hope it might help you or others.

I took a look at the tank today and noticed the front had collected more of a fuel drip despite being only 3/4 full. Cleaned it all up and noticed one area on the front of the tank continued to weep very very slightly.

No obvious hole or damage to the naked eye but I could see and feel where the fuel was slowly seeping out. Filled it with some epoxy metal putty and i'll check it again tomorow. Makes sense now, for a while I have noticed a "splat mark" on the tank around that area, I always assumed it was the diff breather spitting something out, but now I know.

No gasket issues here, top of tank was clean and dry.

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

Just had my fuel tank replaced because it was leaking slightly - according to McMillan, the internal baffles in the tank flex and weaken the aluminium, which causes it to leak slightly - and obviously it gets worse over time. £160+VAT for the tank and 2 hours labour to replace it.

I don't wish to do any garages out of business but it's about 20 minutes to remove the tank, 20 minutes to swap the sender and pump over, and 20 minutes to put the tank back. Not including time to drain the tank (run fuel relay until empty).

Might save those with this problem some cash.

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--