Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gauges not reading correctly

old captain slow

One of our Cats developed an electrical fault yeterday at Combe. Al the electrical gauges including the tacho started to read much lower than normal and more interestingly, if we switched off then re-started the engine they read nothing at all until the throttle was blipped.

Any ideas? I thought it might be an earth problem (eg at the common earth behind the dash) but all seems sound there. Car drives fine and everything else works.

I am not the Stig

Your alternator is dying, and the battery losing almost all its charge. There is noet enough juice to power the guages. Next the engine will stutter, then cut out completely. Or it could be just a battery faullt.

Blipping the throttle might shoot a little juice back into the battery.

Has happened to me twice this year!

Check out Hal... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dalongbloke

Edited by - dalongbloke on 16 Jun 2009 18:01:51

Edited by - dalongbloke on 17 Jun 2009 13:45:12

We got this problem at the beginning of the day, don't think the rumble strips helped. The car ran fine for the rest of the day, and then all the way home with lights on.

The gauges don't do anything when it's first strated, then all jump into life once the throttle has been blipped. But when they do display something they are wrong

No this falls outside of TADTS. 😬

The rev counter for example was reading about half scale when the car hit the limiter and the shift light were flicking in what could only be described as a pathetic fashion. Everything else seemed to be reading half scale.

I am not the Stig