Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bilstein front dampers strangely too wide

thesheep

Recently ordered these from CC.

Rear ones fit fine.

Front ones are 35mm wide at the lower bushes. The original dampers (Avo) were 32mm wide. The extra 3mm is just a bit too much and it won't go in. If I try to force it with a hammer then it starts to push the brackets out to a strange angle. It's not just the rubber in the bush - the metal bonded surface is 35mm wide.

Anyone managed to fit these to their LA car?

Should I just cut 3mm off the dampers with an angle grinder??

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

Been trying to call CC all morning about this. Constantly engaged. I wonder if they have the phone off the hook...

I noticed that on the site there are both 32mm and 36mm bushes listed for Bilsteins. Although they said the shocks were correct for my car/year, perhaps they've sent the wrong ones.

I seem to have had a couple of problems with CC sending me the wrong parts so far... is there a better supplier to use?

Caterham7Junkie.com

Finally managed to get through to CC heritage parts dept. Apparently he wasn't there last week - and so they take the phone off the hook so it sounds engaged... pretty odd practice if you ask me *confused*

Anyway, he said there is only 1 part and I've got the right one. Which seems really strange - have I got modified brackets on my front suspension then?...

Caterham7Junkie.com

OK phoned Redline as advised.

Guy seemed nice and friendly. However, he told me that he would not advise putting Bilsteins on a Live Axle car as they are too hard and it will jump around too much. He said Spax would be much better.

Seems a bit strange since CC sell them as a kit specifically for LA cars... maybe just a personal preference thing. Don't think I can return the Bilys anway since they're already on the car at the rear.

He wasn't sure about the width of the Bilsteins. Didn't recommend cutting down the bushes but said I could do that if there was no alternative.

I have a call request in with CC engineer and I guess I may get that call sometime...

Thing that makes me wonder is that on the CC website, the Bilstein kit is listed as Bilstein kit for Live Axle cars - 1999 onwards. Obviously my car is pre 1999, so I wasn't sure. That's why I asked Darren if it would fit my car and he said it would be fine.

So was there a different type of live axle that started being sold after 1999? And could it have had different widths on the front wishbone lower brackets?

Caterham7Junkie.com

I wouldn't under-estimate their ability to supply you the wrong part especially where dampers are concerned, sorry but I don't thnk I can help much more. Are you able to drive the car to Caterham and demonstrate the problem? No doubt they could resolve it there. Otherwise you'll need someone more au fait with live axles to come on and advise on the merits of spax v bilstein.

There may be a difference between a ball jointed and a trunnion lower mounting.

Sounds reasonable. Chris at the 7 workshop converted mine from trunnion to ball joint and I found he'd packed the wishbone end out with washers.

I had two pairs of shocks in my hands this afternoon, my old ones with the 32mm bush and a set of wide track ones with the 36mm bush. Didn't think to look at the time but is there a 36mm bush in both ends of the shock?

I'll check when I get back in in the morning.

my flickr!

Round and round I go...

Spoke to Darren this morning and he tells me that the 32mm eyelet bushes are out of stock and won't be in for over a month.

But he also said that they would not fit my dampers anyway as the diameter is different.

He said again that the dampers they sent are definitely right for my car, and different types of front suspension (e.g. normal vs. wide track) would not change the bracket size for a live axle car.

Can I just check - you guys who say you've had different bush widths on the lower front damper bush - has that been with De Dion or LA cars?

I think what I will do now is take a photo of the damper bush next to the bracket and send it to CC engineering dept to see what they say then.

Maybe I just have to be more aggressive and bang the thing in even if it does look like it's going to splay the bracket arms outwards quite a lot.

Caterham7Junkie.com

Hmmm.

Sat next to me I've got a Bilstein that came off the front of my live axle car. It has a 32mm bush in either end.

When I replaced the Bilsteins I made up a pair of 32mm spacers to match. I have in turn had to space these out with washers. N.B. My chassis has lower wishbones with spherical joints but the Bilsteins were on the car when it still had trunnions.

I imagine 36mm bushes would fit my car as it now is.

Caterham supplied my old dampers with a 32mm bush to fit a live axle Academy car.

Have you measured the wishbone? If it's 36mm then it's probably just the rubber bush sticking. Give it a shove.

I also have a wide track front shock off of a customers De Dion car. It has 36mm bushes in either end. Curiosity got the better of me and I pushed the bushes out of both dampers. They are quite different so ignore my earlier suggestion to swap the bushes.

my flickr!

Edited by - Peardrop on 4 Jun 2009 15:50:27

Edited by - Peardrop on 4 Jun 2009 15:58:56

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I took a photo of the damper lining up next to the bracket and sent to the head of CC Engineering.

They reply was:

"Hi Ben,

I would machine the bush down on a linisher or grinder a little, and tweak the bracket a little."

I guess it's pretty funny really... so anyway grinding it down seems to be the way to go.

Caterham7Junkie.com