Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rolling Road in Somerset

hubcap

Just returned from a rolling road session at NE Motors in Ditcheat which is just south of the Bath and West Showground near Shepton Mallet in Somerset. I can thoroughly recommend booking a session if you are struggling with your twin Webers. Neil , the proprietor, had my steel crossflow on twin 45's running smoothly and producing it's power where it should after just a couple of hours. If you have never had your engine set up properly then you don't know what you are missing, it is well worth it.

For information call NE Motors on 01749 860123 and tell them that the 'bloke with the green and yellow Caterham' sent you.

Hubcap

Useful to know, I can also recomend Tipton Garage in Ottery-St-Mary [Devon] as being excellent with their rolling road, Stephen Miles used to work for Janspeed in Salsbury before they went out of business, soon after he left to join his father, Richard, at Tipton, he did an excellent mapping job on my Vx engine last autumn and can set up a carb engine with his eyes shut.

If anybody in Somerset wants work done on their cars, MB Garage services in Taunton is building up an excellent reputation too. He now services most of the Sevens in the area, as well as having a couple of Elises and other exotica in from time to time. [He had a Ferrari in last week]. He is also very skilled in building up cars from kits, he's got one in at the moment and is doing an excellent job. His prices are reasonable, he takes pride in his work and he is an enthusiast - what more could one ask for?

His phone number is 01823 353 945, and speak to Mark, the boss.

Red 245bhp Vauxhall powered 21

[Now For Sale]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham

According to Neil of NE the ultimate figure was difficult to assess because the back end of the car had to bee strapped down HARD to stop the wheels slipping, the equivalent of pulling up a steep hill! However, he reckoned on an adjusted figure at the flywheel of around 165bhp at around 6800rpm. The power curve was nice and flat from 6000 through to 8000 rpm with useful torque around 125ft/lb at a shade under 6000. His comment was simply that it was the best crossflow he had had on the rollers, which he didn't have to say because I had already written the cheque out!

The original problem of poor midrange was down to being set up over rich, it now pulls like a train from 4000 and flies from 6000. All in all £100 well spent.

Hubcap