Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which brake fluid?

Pezky

• Area Representative

Depends on what you are using the car for and how often you are prepared to change the fluid. The higher performance fluids need replacing fairly regularly but perform much better at higher temperatures. If you do road and occasional trackdays then go for a good quality DOT4 like Castrol Response. Castrol SRF is very expensive but good for racers.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

Are you fitting the same Hi-spec's I've got here - or a different model?

If they are the same, I'd suggest reconsidering your pads while you've still got a chance. My Hi-Spec 4-pots are much lighter than standard brakes - but have the same cylinder-area and so don't actually push any harder. I started off with 1144s (as that was what I used quite happily on the standard clappers) - but they failed to excite.

I then switched to Pagid (can't remember whether they are RS15 or 14s at the front - but a quick search will solve that one). The problem is that the Pagids don't like discs that have been used with 1144s (according to John at Performance Braking) - so you can either spend a few hours of manual labour trying to clean them up - or start with the Pagids on your new discs...

FWIW, I use bog-standard Halfords Dot 5.1 fluid - and did uprate to the AP 'race' MC. After a lot of hassle, I did (finally) get a nice firm pedal with this set-up and am happy (not deliriously-so though) with them on the road.

Couple of other things - if you do go for Pagids, get the thinner of the two available thicknesses (my clappers use the Elise-shape pads) - there wasn't enough clearance to get the thicker Pagids into my hi-specs - and I had to grind them down to fit. Pagids have a good reputation for longevity - so you're not losing anything to speak of my getting the thinner ones.

Also - be careful with the hose fitting - if your banjo-bolt is too-long, it will be blocked by the back of the piston - and you'll not get any flow when you try to bleed the brakes for the first time!

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

Thanks for the word of warning about pads.

I have got the HiSpec 260/10 "economy" kit - solid discs not vented.

Calipers I have got have same brake hose connection as caterham big-brake kit so should not have the same problem.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan!

I found that CC fluid works fine for road and occasional track duty - never had any fade. In my previous saloons I used Ate Super Blue/Gold or Motul 600 - both fairly cheap and worked ok for light track duty and road use.