Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best way for an absolute beginner to start?

thesheep

I've driven a Caterham a very little bit on the road, but never on a track. Obviously I can drive 'normally', but I'm not particularly confident about driving at high speed, knowing the limits of the car, etc. I'm just getting my first Caterham up and running (soonish I hope) and was wondering about the best way to get started.

I was thinking about paying for a little bit of tuition - maybe a half day or day course with instructors. Learning how to drift, etc. I know there are quite a few driving courses out there and was wondering what people would recommend? I know there are those Caterham Experience ones run by CC: are they good value for money? Anything I can get a club discount on?

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

I did my first track day at Cadwell a few weeks ago and I would say JUST DO IT. I was happier to book the club day rather than a public event. There are some very fast cars on the track but eveyone is considerate. Provided that you don't obstruct the faster cars (ease off and let them go) they will not barge through or cause you trouble. Cadwell is open pit lane rather than seperated by ability which isn't ideal for a first go but even that was fine.

The problem is you want more! I have booked Oulton and Cadwell again. If you are going to either of these I would be happy to take you around first or let you follow me but you will soon be off and away.

The other option is to look at doing an airfield day with a trackday organiser such as Motorsport Events. These are very well organised with the emphasis on safety. Airfields by their nature have plenty of run off so no need to worry too much about getting over confident and taking a trip into the scenery.

I did a couple of airfield days last year both attended by 3 or 4 caterhams so plenty of advice and support if you need it.

Last bit of advice - get out there and have a try, you won't regret it

Dave

I would recommend starting with a club track day.

The club track days are friendly, well run and because they are sessioned you will be running in a like minded/paced group. You will find that you can go at your own pace and just need to show a little courtesy to the other cars by keeping an eye on your mirrors.

One of the problems with public track days is that you get a wide range of cars running. This means that as well as getting the occasional idiot turning up you will be runing with cars that you will be all over in the corners but can't get past on the straight. This can be a very frustrating experience if the driver in front decide to impress you with his acceleration.

As you can access free tuition on the club track days it makes them excellent value for a beginner.

One piece of advice I have always remembered (I think from Johnny at BAT) was explore your limits from the inside.

Still some places at Oulton Park on 14th July I think so get yourself booked on and enjoy!

Steve

Superlight #63

100% absolutely do get instruction 1st time out, the difference it'll make to your confidence levels, ability, safety and overall enjoyment can't be under estimated, I use a few decent guys, if you want any names/contact details then PM me

Spinning off is not a real problem , you know how to drive on the public highway and you will be no less competent on the track. You must keep a very close eye on your mirrors though (far more than on the road) as a fast approaching car can badly shake your confidence if you didn't see it coming (as well as frustrating the faster driver). I recommend a club day, do the two (obligatory for everyone) laps behind a pace car and then a few more laps to try to imprint the circuit layout on your brain. Then take some (free on Club trackdays) tuition. You really will be fine.

One tip I will add from personal experience. When you are following the pace car, make sure that you note the way to EXIT the circuit, On my first track day (some 20 years ago) I didn't and had to spend more time on the circuit that I was comfortable with during my initial "baptism"