Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Aluminium Block

J7HPC

So, given the number of VX's showing up recently, and the common weight criticism, I was wondering whether any of the VX owners ran these?

Light Lump

Especially interested in the opinion of Arnie if you're out there as I see K2RUM's engine is for sale and was considered from what I've read to be the ultimate VX in a caterham, would be considering purchase myself if we were later in the year.

Rupert

Rupert, the Milling product is, without question, the dogs doo-dahs. I only wish I could afford one ☹️.

Beware of the very early QED blocks (non-Millington) as the had issues, chat to Dave Kimbery at Demon T for his 1st hand experience.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Su77on Se7ener

Thanks for that, it took me about 5 years to get to owing a caterham but now it's in the garage I foresee a long term project of upgrades (I believe it's called upgraditis *wink* ) so I'm thinking longer term, do you go duratec or actually is the VX with an ali block going to be just as good / better option.

It's a two fold question really, I could switch to injection on my HPC and then when funds allow, upgrade to the ali block without having wasted the money with a switch to duratec.

From what i've read, the VX lump is very well thought of overall, it's just a weight issue.

Initial plans are to start shaving weight with removable parts (bulk buy on carbon headlights for example) and then reclad and rebuild as I go but I wouldn't mind doing the injection switch sooner rather than later.

Rupert

Rupert,

I've been down the same path...and apart from the Ali block, done every upgrade possible to my Vx. Inc a recent full re-build.

I thought about the swop to Duratec as I was having it re-panelled, but I decided to stay true to the vehicle's heritage. Also, in going over to duratec, there was the issue of changing all the anciliaries etc and my costs were already running close to 20K *eek*

I wasn't owning it to win races, and if a slightly better Duratec comes passed me at Spa....so what...weighing 517kg and with 265 horses under the bonnet that does not happen often anyway *biggrin*

I think the Vx has a certain charm and from what I've seen they seem to be a bit more popular now than say, 4/5 years ago when the developed K's were all the rage.

Good luck..

Cheers for that, that was exactly my thoughts, I don't want to go and blow fortunes in one go but I figure on a target of 250bhp and 500 kilos to give me R500 equivalent but I figure a 250bhp VX isn't going to be anywhere nearly as highly stressed as a K and should stay in tune for longer (fingers crossed anyway).

I actually strongly suspect that i'll end up with two caterham's when I've finished, 1 I've upgraded and a complete car worthg of parts i've removed while upgrading but on the flip side I thought about starting from a kit and building but never got round to it.

Rupert

😬

Thanks Arnie!!

Yeap, I know but having just bought a caterham for my stag weekend, you try explaining to the other half why I just spent a further £15k on an engine and sequential gearbox before the wedding.... If you still have it in September I could well be knocking on your door *wink*

Rupert

Edited: PS. Mike, if you're reading this, I notice you didn't use that pic in your advert *tongue*

Edited by - J7HPC on 14 May 2009 08:39:34

Rupert, Since being a schoolboy at the tender age of 11 when Mike and I were first aquainted, he has always preferred to hide this side of his persona....

At the moment my engine is heading for a Westfield in Wales..... Rupert, you are the chosen one to stop this.... (Its not 15K either, its 8, so that will please the new wife surely?)

The box isn't madatory, it ran for years with a Caterham 6 speed.....