Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My car seems to have sprung oil and water leaks!

Brucey

Further to fitting my 1800K engine last year and having to take the engine out again to replace a leaking rear crank case oil seal, I seem to have the same problem again 😔

The last time, the seal was leaking around the outside and the housing so I put the new seal in with some sealant (as reccomended by Dave Andrews) before pressing it in.

Now I have to take the engine out yet again to repair this . Is it just my bad luck, or am I doing something wrong?

I also seem to have developed a water leak where the water rail fits to the engine near the exhaust at the back of the block. I will replace the gasket and put some silicone on both sides. Although I'm 90% sure this is where the water is coming from, could this coolant be coming from between the head and block in this area? Should I be worried about the integrity of the head gasket in this area?

I'm tempted to stick my leak free 1400 engine back in now!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bruce.

Edited by - brucey on 22 Apr 2009 21:22:04

Edited by - brucey on 22 Apr 2009 22:05:32

Hi Ian *wavey*

Yes I've read most of the history regarding leaking water rails.

I invested in a small torque wrench last weekend and nipped up the 2 bolts on the water rail. this seems to have made it worse *confused*

I also nipped up all the sump bolts in the hope it would stop the tell tail oil drip from the back left of the sump but it didn't of course.

Can anyone confirm what sealants (if any) I should use for the Rear Crank Seal (outer) and either side of the water rail gasket?

Bruce.