Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting flexible brake hose on rear of an HPC - problem

DaveMorris

As title says I bought flexible hoses to fit to the rear of my 98 HPC which is fitted witht eh AP racing brakes.

Problem is that due to the position of the coupling on the caliper it appears that the brake hose would need to go through the rear springs.

Anyone else fitted these to a car with big brake kit ? Is there something special that I need, or am I just being daft.

I think that it would work with a 90degree fitting being used, but there's not one in the kit.

Dave.

Dave

To be honest I made my own flexible hose for the rear AP calipers on my 94 HPC from parts bought from Think Auto...

But yes I did use 90deg fittings on the back of the calipers....

I would have thought the hose loop would be too big otherwise...

Gary

Same with my HPC, I used aftermarket Aeroquips 90° for the rear calipers.

Straight coupling sounds bit wrong to me.

BTW: when filling the system with brake fluid again, make sure you position the caliper straight upwards, the bleeding nipple being the highest point. Not 70° but really 90°. It took me 3 litres ATE Blue until I realised there was still air trapped in the d*** caliper.

there is no need for flexible hoses on the AP calipers as they are not a sliding type (like the std calipers) so wont harden the rigid hose in use. It is of course a little easier to move them around but the flexible hose will need to be replaced every 2 years or so.....

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

.. .. .. and if you have knack'd the solid brake pipe when removing it , and have ungradeitis REAL BAD then it's a no brainer. Never did like a simple life either.

(My logic says that it should be easier to bleed the caliper anyway)

Spoke to Darren today and after a check with engineering it appears that these HPC's with AP brakes did have a racing/flex pipe option but they used banjo type connections to the caliper. Caterham stock the banjo bolt, but he doesn't think they stock the convertor from the flex pipe to the banjo head. So, as yet, no further forward.

Dave.