Click here if you are having website access problems ×

headlight wires

taffyracer

removed everything today to swap my large headlight for the new smaller ones, problem is they seem to have different connections and electrics is the devil's doing to me.. The new headlight appear to have small metal crimp type connectors and the existing has proper loom connector, male and female, do i need to get a new male connector fitted onto the new headlight wires or can the old connector be re used, i'm assuming the metal crimp bits don't simply push into the back of the connector?

here's a pic of the connector

Easy - look inside the connector - see the yellow plastic bit - hook it out. You can now see the retaining bits for the metal pins/sockets inside. Small wcrewdrive to lift them, and the wires pull out the back - suggest a quick sketch so you can get them back in in the right place.

Pull the wires back out the headlamp stay and out the light - back down the new one, and back down the stay - shove back into the connector until they clip and shove the yellow bit of plastic back in.

Easy.

Bri

The individual pins simply pull out of the connector blocks. Use a blade or thin screwdriver to free the tags on the yellow shroud inside the moulded plug, to expose the connectors, then use an even smaller screwdriver or the point of a bradawl to release the tag beside each pin then pull the wire and pin out of the back of the block. Have to do one at a time. Note the colours of the wires. All quite easy.

Remove the old wires off the 7" headlamp and re-use them on the new one ?

Or get some of the right connectors from Polevolt - see their website. Do a search in TechTalk for Polevolt - you'll soon find the thread.

Whichever way you do it, you may find it a right job to get the wires and connector pins back down the inside of the tube ...... if there is any corrosion inside !! If so, push then through one at a time.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 12 Apr 2009 09:22:58

Fit the original loom into the new headlights and re-insert the pins back in the Caterham connectors.

I got new pins, but this seemed the easiest way. Which was when I discovered my new headlights dipped the wrong way . . . ☹️ but they'll be perfect for our Italian trip at the end of summer *cool*

Bri

• 2 weeks later...