Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What to use for rear light cluster big hole?

Shad

Got to mend my car today including fitting a new rear light cluster to a new rear wing. Regarding the 30mm hole for the wiring and rubber seal, the build manual just says "drill the outer [refering to a template I don't have] to 30mm".

If one doesn't have a 30mm drill bit, how should one proceed? Drill to largest available bit size and use a file? I might have one of those flat blade bits wide enough, are they safe to use on FG without it splintering everywhere?

Help appreciated as usual *smile*

Simon

niknak.org

Drill it as large as possible and then file it. A Dremel (or Dremel clone) with the sanding drum is ideal for this type of work (use a mask) an I'd recommend one for your toolkit. I would not use the flat bladed bit on GRP.

Have fun

*smile*

CONECUT bits work well. They are available from good tool shops and maybe B&Q/Homebase too.

They can be run quite slowly at light pressure in a speed variable drill and to hole opened out to what ever size you require.

For thin material the tapered edges of the hole don't really matter. In thicker material you may want to file the sides of the hole parallell. Some cone cutters are stepped but I've found they go blunt and also don't cut as cleanly, but they do maker nearer to parallel sides to the hole.

Hope your weekend is not too "boring" ! (Boom-chaaa!)

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much IQ per Pound 😬

Why not just carefully remove the pins from the connector block? then the size of hole needs only be the size of the wiring?

Do not see the point of drilling a big hole just because the connector has to go through it. *confused* 😬

I think the main reason is that the 'econoseal' circular bit on the rubber block juts out slightly from the main face of the block, so it needs the 30mm hole to sit flush. I could be wrong though that's how it looks to me.

Dremel is working a treat so far, thanks for reminding me, I forgot I had one! *thumbup* *smile*

Simon

niknak.org