Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel bearing failure - sorted!

Bellissimmo

All lined up for WightBlat on Friday and I think my wheel bearing has gone. Went to pick the boy up from work and started hearing a squeaking noise from OSF wheel. Got the car home - wheel off, can't turn the hub, took the pads out and still can't turn the hub. There is dirty black grease seeping out of the bearing so I'm pretty sure it's bu99ered. With the wheel on, the NSF spins freely, OSF will turn with gentle hand pressure but won't spin on its own.

Questions

Can someone confirm the obvious for me (just in case I've missed something)?

Does anyone know how easy they are to change?

Does anyone know if I'm likely to get the parts from a local motor factor?

Can anyone give me any hope that I'll be able to get Caterham to fix it tomorrow?

PS It's a 2008 Roadsport with 3500 miles on the clock angry smiley angry smiley

Steve

Bonnie Babies Charity Appeal *thumbup* *thumbup*

Edited by - bellissimmo on 2 Apr 2009 18:44:54

Try to dissmantle, grease adjust and reassemble...

Remove split pin and castle nut along with D washer, this should allow you to remove the outer taper bearing to clean inspect and regrease bearing.

If all ok adjust castle nut untill no wheel movement side to side or up and down.(only light tightening preassure on nut)then back off nut untill one of the cross holes for the split pin lines up.

If you still get wheel rock after applying slighht tightening preassure on the nut or the bearing surfaces appear damaged the bearing is us.

Try Red Line at Caterham or the bearing is from a Triumph Spitfire ( on earlier models)

John

I would also clean the grease off everything, and inspect for damage.

If in doubt, replace with new parts...

They are relatively easy to change. You can remove the hub from the upright, but you may need to press the races into place. You can do it with heat etc. but a press is easy.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Ok, so you will need this here.

It's not the triumph bearing.

If you have a bearing supplier nearby, clean up the old one and take it down. You may find it cheaper.

If the bearings are over tightened, they fail early, so be careful when refitting.

You can place the hub in the oven, and the bearinng race in the freezer.

You then need minimum force to put the new races in. You will have to drift out the old races though.

They are quite well recessed, but with use of a suitable socket, you should be able to fit them with a vice, or a threaded bar with nuts on to pull them in.

Personally, I use a hydraulic press, as it is an easy job. Does your mechanic son have access to one? If not, try a local garage. You should be able to strip the hub off, and get the bearing races replaced for minimal cost.

Don't forget to pack the bearing with grease correctly. Then when all ready, wind the nut on to just over 11Nm (about 15-20 should do it), back it off, and then adjust it up to 11Nm. Then back the nut off until the split pin fits in the nearest slot.

Bellissimo

If the grease is black it has got so hot it has burnt.... Should be yellow inside under the domed cap as should be clean). New Bearing required , old one b........ered. If burnt grease the bearing has probably broken up and you will do more damage if you don't replace.

Thanks to all who responded - especially CageyH and a HUGE *thumbup* *wavey* *thumbup* to Caterham (and the AA 😳)

Spoke to the ever helpful Sharon this morning and, in spite of the fact that they are up to their ears in SVA's trying to beat the new regs, she wangled me a slot for a while-u-wait bearing replacement. So, I set off for Dartford at a leisurely pace paying close attention to the increasing level of noise coming from the bearing. Less than five miles from home, the car suddenly veers to the right and the steering wheel is almost snatched from my hands. Leisurely pace slows to a crawl and I head, very shaken, to the nearest Services. I call the AA and Winston, the happiest and most chatty AA man I've ever met, takes me the rest of the way in a recovery truck.

On arrival at Caterham, I was met at the kerb by Sharon and directed straight into the workshop. James Gibson and Rob take over and replace hub and bearing (under warranty). Most excellent service.

Steve

Steve

Bonnie Babies Charity Appeal

I had the same experience when mine had only done 700 miles. It was a rear O/S and little scary at 70 mph on the M5!

Glad your all sorted. They sorted mine quickly too . . . once the AA had recovered me *biggrin*

Learning new skills all the time, 10000 miles completed.

[wipes forehead smiley]

Glad it's sorted, bet you're glad you took out AA cover. Good for CC, Rob and James really are quite handy chaps. Bet you're glad you're still in warranty, and now you've discovered the reason why 2CVs are so fuel efficient - on the London to Brighton run, most turn up on flat beds!

This got me worried last night, as when out I could hear a faint squeaking, but it didn't seem to change with speed/throttle/gear/clutch... maybe it was a mouse after all...

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )