Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Soap Box Racer Bits

Brucey

I'm looking for the following to start my soap box racer build:

Kart steering (column, track rods, axles, pivots etc) ideally a knackered Kart chassis.

I've looked on e bay but the bits are too good/expensive.

I have 4 off 26" mountain bike wheels but if I could source 20" wheels with 14mm axles (BMX?) would probably design the soap box around them. Alternatively, Plastic 20" BMX wheels may be an option if I can modify them to take ball races.

A couple of cable operated disc brake assemblies (discs, calipers & levers). I need to put 1 on each rear wheel.

Any plans, advice, bits would be appreciated.

As you can probably guess, I'm doing this on a bit of a budget!

Bruce.

Edited by - brucey on 24 Mar 2009 18:17:58

BTTT *wavey*

This could be the ideal opportunity to get rid of all that biking and karting stuff that you don't want but is too good to throw away! (Kids stuff included!)

I'll even put a 7 Club sticker on the side (if I can get one) as I will effectively become a sponsered driver *eek*

Anything considered. 8mm rose joints, kart track rods and chassis bits, 25 x 25 square hollow bar, 20" or 24" wheels, 19 - 25 mm diam steel tubing, 1.6mm ally sheet, carbon fibre *rolleyes*

Bruce.

Brucey,

I have a Magura Julie hydraulic disc brake which has a broken handle bar mount on the lever, but it's still fluid-tight and worked when I took it off the bike (rode it in to a tree, and gaffed it on until I bought a replacement, couple of years ago now). Welcome to it if you want. It's for a front brake, so a RH lever, and quite a short hose.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

John,

I certainly would be interested in anything at the moment as I can alter the designs to suit the bits I have.

I noticed the racers on the Gadget Show were sporting disc brakes.

How much are you looking for?

Will you be going to any Kent club do's in the near future?

Bruce.

Hi Brucey,

You can have it for the grand sum of nothing.

I go to the North Kent meets (next one next Tuesday) but appreciate that's a long way to go for a pint! If you're in no hurry, I may well blat down some time soon, or I can post it/GONADS it?

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )