Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding radiators (Sigma)

Bellissimmo

No, I'm not moaning this time (for a change *tongue*).

Just received a new rad from Caterham, fitted and filled it. Turned the engine over a few times, topping up as I went. I got about 5 litres in - whch seems about right - so I started the engine and ran it up to temp. As expected, the fan cut in at about 90 (degrees!) but it failed to cool the engine. I allowed it to go up to about 100 before my courage failed me and I switched off. Now, the top two hoses - thin one to the expansion tank and the main top hose are both hot (ouch! hot, not just warm) but the bottom hose is still cold-water cold. The plastic header tank is hot but the bottom tank and the radiator core are still very cold (the core is slowly warming at the very top where it meets the header tank but that seems more conducted than from water flow).

Heater hoses both hot and warm air coming from vents in the car.

Can anyone throw any light or diagnostic expertise on this issue?

Steve

Edited by - bellissimmo on 2 Mar 2009 12:46:02

Edited by - bellissimmo on 2 Mar 2009 12:50:57

*wavey* Hi Steve.

Have you done the jack up and massage method?

How have you plumbed the radiator? Obviously the two big pipes will be in the right place, but if your rad is the same as mine, what have you done for the 6mm take off next to the inlet and temp sender? You can probably use this to let any air out (use some fuel pipe and lift rather than spray over the engine). Sounds to me like there is an airlock.

Be quite aggressive with the massaging.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Hi Steve,

I'm still whinging 😬

glad your sorted out with number 4, still waiting for number 2 ere. Just fired another mail off to see what they're up to. I think mine must be on the way, it looks like we're due for some more snow. ☹️

Andy

Lardy Aztec Orange 'n' Black

Andy,

You have my sympathy. It's frustrating enough having the car off the road while you replace parts and doubly frustrating if you cannot get hold of the parts you need.

The weather here has just turned but it's only rain (with a bit of sleet later) this week. One of the reasons I was so pi55ed about my radiator was that my Seven was off the road for the only glorious weather we've had so far. Plus I had to do a trip to Goodwood in the tintop and spent the whole journey on some fabulous driving roads. GRRR!

Hope yours arrives soon.

Steve

Bonnie Babies Charity Appeal