Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Underdash handbrake

Klunk

Also has anyone converted a tunnel mounted handbrake setup to an under-dash one and can share the issues involved?

For racing with arm restraints you either have to tape up the handbrake or risk getting the restraint caught under the handle - switching to an under-dash setup would appear to solve this problem...

John

John,

I haven't done the conversion but I'd imaging all you'd need to do is fashion a bracket to mount as it's cable operated (new cable required as it's further away). Mine's an original underdash type if you want to see one.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Vinnie,

Can you let me know what you want for it.

Also, I know I'll need a new cable - is it caterham only or is there an equivalent part?

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 3 Mar 2009 10:32:40

Just a short FYI, if your cars have dedion rear ends or a disc brake converted live axle, then you will need to install a bracket in/under the tunnel to hold the new outer cable so you can connect to the existing inner cable. The bracket needs to be pretty stiff as the tension in the cable due to the more mechanical advantage of the underdashe lever is pretty high.

i had to go through this for my disc braked live axle car, it is not pretty and it works after a fashion, but i wouldn't leave the car parked on a slope!!

Phil B (7 at last)